Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programing contest — Parallax Forums

Programing contest

Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
edited 2007-02-05 14:58 in Propeller 1
Hi,
·Does anybody know if there is any plans to have a programing contest·like they have for the SX.

Thanks,Brian

Comments

• rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-04 05:58
    It would be cool to have a "demoboard demo contest"; has to run on a stock demo board.
    Just like the old-school demo scene. I know the Hydra already has a bunch of cool demos
    like that but still.
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2007-02-04 06:03
    It would be cool if parallax could give a problem and see who could come up with the least amount of code.

Brian
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-04 06:14
    Yeah, but I like the open-ended ones. Just do whatever you can. Make fancy graphics. Make a dynamic
    sound display of some sort (using the built-in microphone). Make the LEDs flash while chanting Gregorian
    chants. Generate Mandelbrot sets in real time. There's a million things this little chip can do.
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2007-02-04 06:22
    This is getting of the subject a little bit, but I have been looking around at differnt chips online. I honestly can't find a chip that compares to the propeller. I'm sure that I haven't look at all of them , but even if they have some of the features there way more money.

Brian
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-02-04 06:40
    Hey there,

Yes, there is a plan for a Propeller Design Contest. It's one of the marketing activities planned for 2007. The only reason we're not starting it today is because we have a couple of projects we need to finish for Propeller:

(a) www.parallax.com redesign being launched March 1, 2007.
    (b) Object Exchange revision. A plan has been drafted so programming may commence in coming weeks.

I imagine that the contest will be announced around May or June at the latest. We'll run it for at least six to nine months. It shall have substantial prize money.

We'll need some unique categories and judging criteria for this one, so feel free to offer up your ideas.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-04 06:51
    The chip was invented to create an easy-to-program concurrent system, the fact that very few·other companies have done anything similar is a bonus.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 2/4/2007 8:36:49 AM GMT
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-02-04 07:10
    Hi
    Parallax with a very select few... leads the way.

The legendary Mr Charles "Chuck" Moore has been at it again. ..the inventor of Forth.

He has a 24 Core chip called the SeaForth 24A.

It won't be for the faint hearted and there is no such thing as this wonderfull Forum like this one.

Thanks to our Chip Gracey and his team we have the awesome Propeller..

Ronald
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2007-02-04 08:07
    Are we already getting a peek at the new website? I notice a new format for the object exchange page.

Here's an idea for a contest- best program by someone on this list named Larry. If you give out several prizes and don't allow multiple entries, I might make hon. mention.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-02-04 08:42
    Larry, the Object Exchange page you see now is not what is on the drafting board. I have seen the static mark-up of the proposed new Object Exchange and it is quite different than what you currently see.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-02-04 17:28
    You should have a section on the object exchange for prize winning and honarable mention entries from the programming contest. Then after the contest is over, we'll have not only write-ups but the benefit of new Propeller objects. Or perhaps there could be an award for creating the most useful Propeller object?

Edit: Maybe have a regular vote on the forums for your favorite Propeller object (written by someone else) that is on the object exchange. The respect of your peers is a powerful motivation, and it would encourage people to get things onto the object exchange that they might have written but not gotten around to putting up there yet.
    edited 2007-02-04 20:06
    Dennis, you've (partially) read our minds. We are planning on a review system where people can rate submitted objects and provide a place to provide thoughts and feedback on submitted objects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2007-02-04 22:39
    If there were a way also save old(er)/alternate revisions (for instance, VGA vs. TV), that would be sweet too.

-Parsko
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-02-05 14:43
    For the object exchange, how about a "derived from" or "derivitives" listing, like the Enhanced Full Duplex tied into the Full Duplex, etc. I think this is kind of what Parsko is saying.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2007-02-05 14:58
    John, basically, yes. Sometimes one can benefit from a prior revision. And, presumably, all revisions are properly documented. If you need an older version, it should be clear what changes have been made since, prior, whatever...

So, the organization can be such that when you click to download, you get the latest and greatest, but have the option of older versions. I work with Unigraphics, and subsequently TeamCenter. I'm just pulling ideas from that...

-Parsko