Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Longest Range Video Transmitter for <$100? — Parallax Forums

Longest Range Video Transmitter for <$100?

FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
edited 2007-02-04 15:26 in General Discussion
Hi all-
Now that I have achieved my goal of remote controlling my model tank wirelessly over the phone line (e.g unlimited range), I was wondering what the greatest range of a·video transmitter and reciever pair·is that I can get for under·one hundred dollars or so that don't require an FCC license etc. It's great·to be able to·drive·the·tank as far as the battery·will allow, but it's not so great if I can't see it anymore[noparse]:)[/noparse]. I already·have a small camer that I could use with a transmitter, but I haven't found a good one yet.
I'd like to maximize the bang for the buck[noparse]:)[/noparse]
If anyone knows any good ones, can they please point me in the right·direction?
Thanks
Rafael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You've got to play the game.
You can't win.
You can't break even, except on a very cold day.
It doesn't get that cold.
~Laws of Thermodynamics~

Comments

• latigerlillylatigerlilly Posts: 114
    edited 2007-02-03 05:51
    Use a wireless webcam: www.x10.com/key_products/wireless-webcam.htm . It is $80. You can view your tank from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. Then, use your phone to control it from anywhere in the world. Dude, If you use cellphones, you've essentially created a UAV! Cool.... cool.gif
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2007-02-03 07:00
    Check EBAY, all kinds. Looks like you could get up to 100 m. with some, for a lot less than 100.

kelvin
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-02-03 13:08
    F-F-F said...
    "...controlling... wirelessly over the phone line..."
    · I assume that means cell-phone?· Then get a cell-phone with a camera.· If you actually DO have a cell-phone interface, tell us more about that.· Even if not, you could still mount the cell-phone video on the "tank" (you just call it and get all that going when you set the thing running.)
    ··Regarding transmitter kits, etc.:· How far?· What're we really talking about here?· The backyard, next door, around the block?
    Update -- http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=TV6C

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 2/3/2007 1:23:23 PM GMT
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2007-02-03 23:55
    Okay-the cell-phone interface I have right now is very simple, I use the auto-answer feature with a headset I severed to send the audio to my board with the DTMF decoder, then the Stamp controls the H-bridge on the tank's board. That's how I control it. Now, as to the video...
    You know how a regular RC system runs out of range after about ~100-200 yards? That's where the video transmitter comes in. The point of the range limitation is obvious, because after about 100 yards, the thing gets hard to see. Now, on level terrain, the tank can drive about a kilometer before the battery dies. So, I'd ideally like to get that range of transmission or more, because I have space to install a second battery in parallel with the first, if I ever want it to drive further.
    The transmitters they sell on Ebay claim about 3500ft range (about a 1 km), with a transmission power of ~3000mW max. I was wondering if these numbers make sense, because if they do, that would be an ok unit, and the price is about $60. If that sounds like a good deal, cool. The problem is I wouldn't know, because I have no experience with that sort of stuff...maybe someone around here has worked with those units?
    If you need any other info, let me know
    Thanks everyone so far [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Rafael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You can't win.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-02-04 00:00
    try www.BlackwidowAV.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2007-02-04 05:20
    I found really cool stuff at www.rangevideo.com
    A little over my budget, sadly, but it sounds like a good price (may think about it). $140 for a medium range (1km min) system, with high-gain antennas it goes to 10km, the next size up (up to 15km with suitable antennas) goes for $200 without the high gain antennas. If they had a sale...[noparse]:)[/noparse][noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Rafael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You can't win.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
  • WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
    edited 2007-02-04 15:26
    Great job !!!!!·· I got a 200 mw and a 800mw w/c,s·· the 200mw has ir night vision and works good 100ft acroos my house good picture , the 800mw has a separate transmitter with a/v inputs but the camera that came with it is dark and not very good ,but you can order the trans separate and add a digital cam or camcorder i havent ranged it yet but it supposed to be a 1000m.

·keep up the good work and let us know how its going!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Problems are the "roads" of life,
    solutions are only "onramps" to the next problem

············································· "Brad Smith"
    ·