Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller IDE wish list item — Parallax Forums

Propeller IDE wish list item

Don PomplunDon Pomplun Posts: 116
edited 2007-04-01 20:29 in Propeller 1
I think it would be most helpful if the "indent bars" in the Propeller IDE could alternate between color shades for each level. It would make following long bars a lot easier.
(Is there a better place to post this?)
-- Don

Comments

• bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-03 01:14
    not a bad idea, but I have to say its still nicer to follow than visual studio 6 vb or C++.
  • JoannaKJoannaK Posts: 44
    edited 2007-02-03 06:09
    I noticed one oddity on IDE editor.. (well.. one that's seriously worth ranting, that is wink.gif

When type Alt-GR+4 to get $ for hex numbers this editor automatically inserts Yen sign before $ .. I don't know why it happens, but looks like there is some conflict with Propeller IDE key handling and local (Finnish/swedish) keymap on win2k.

label mov dest,#¥$e2

I tried to use Shift+4, but it just give white square (normally it's some weird swedish character.. like '¤' )
    As is.. writing hex numbers is quite bad, since this

Edit: Tested IDE with US keymap.. Seems to work (shift+4 is $ and alt-gr+4 gives ¥), unfortunately this keyboard don't have Us-keycaps so it'll make coding quite hard cause many punctuation mark keys aren't where they looks to be... '

Edit2: I noticed that US.layout don't even have Alt-Gr function (it's at rigth side atl key and does alt+shift with single key) ... Anyhow, this problem is easily seen if one opens Microsofts keyboard layout tool (needs IE) http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.mspx

Note: I thought I wasn't first Finn around here.. ?

Post Edited (JoannaK) : 2/3/2007 6:51:54 AM GMT
  • Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2007-02-05 11:54
    JoannaK said...
    I noticed one oddity on IDE editor.. (well.. one that's seriously worth ranting, that is wink.gif

When type Alt-GR+4 to get $ for hex numbers this editor automatically inserts Yen sign before $ .. I don't know why it happens, but looks like there is some conflict with Propeller IDE key handling and local (Finnish/swedish) keymap on win2k.

label mov dest,#¥$e2

I tried to use Shift+4, but it just give white square (normally it's some weird swedish character.. like '¤' )
    As is.. writing hex numbers is quite bad, since this

Edit: Tested IDE with US keymap.. Seems to work (shift+4 is $ and alt-gr+4 gives ¥), unfortunately this keyboard don't have Us-keycaps so it'll make coding quite hard cause many punctuation mark keys aren't where they looks to be... '

Edit2: I noticed that US.layout don't even have Alt-Gr function (it's at rigth side atl key and does alt+shift with single key) ... Anyhow, this problem is easily seen if one opens Microsofts keyboard layout tool (needs IE) http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.mspx

Note: I thought I wasn't first Finn around here.. ?

^_^ I'm a Finn too. And I'm having exactly the same problem. And the ¤ is the generic currency sign.
  • peterzpeterz Posts: 59
    edited 2007-02-05 12:06
    Some strange things I have found on the editor:

- Sometimes DEL does not work, it refuses to delete, while moving forward and using BACK SPACE does work. Once you backspace once you can use DEL again.
    - Sometimes TAB does not indent the text but moves the focus to another window (usually to the tree window on top left)
    - I think this is the only Windows editor I know that does not allow for standard CTRL-INS & SHIFT-INS to perform copy/paste (although it provides CTRL-C & CTRL-V)
  • Don PomplunDon Pomplun Posts: 116
    edited 2007-02-05 14:30
    While we're griping (must be the Chicago fans) . . .

When I'm in a programming frenzy (changing, compiling, downloading, testing, swaring), I occasionally get a Propeller Lost window from the IDE. When I click Load RAM, Checking & Verifying take a long time (few seconds vs less than a sec), and I get Propeller Lost. Am I the only one?
    -- Don
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-02-05 14:55
    Don;

I've seen this happen too. I just do the F10 or F11 again, and things are "good to go". I have a number of other USB stuff connected, including another virtual serial port, and I am assuming that occasionally there are timing issues with the communication. It seems that if I am working without all the other USB stuff connected, I have this happen less often, or not at all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-05 19:24
    The only instance where I had a Propeller Lost notice everytime, my machine had been running non-stop for about a week. A simple reboot cleared the problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-02-05 19:38
    I have seem the 'propeller lost' window - but that was with an unshielded serial cable hanging out of a machine in a factory - F10/F11 again and away we go ... I consider this to be my fault ! Never had it on a USB to demo board ... here in the workshop.Have seen removal of other USB devices from a USB hub cause similar issues .. but hey - is it really a problem ?
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-05 19:54
    This happens now and again for me. Typically it's because some other process (virus checker or something I'm running in the background)
    takes the CPU for a small fraction of a second. The download process is *very* timing sensitive. I would be surprised if a reboot was ever
    necessary; just try the download again.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-02-05 19:54
    I've lost it a quite a few times, but typically it's due to my impatience when I start switching between apps while downloading. Sounds like most of these are due to Windows being to busy for the tool to maintain the data rate.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting, and XBee Wireless Adapters
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • asterickasterick Posts: 158
    edited 2007-02-05 20:09
    One small wish for the propeller IDE (which is more related to the compiler, but Whatev.)

The ability to use CON block values in assembly. It's rather irritating that I can't do

MOV LineCounter, #NTSC_TOP_BORDER_LINES

so I have to hard code the value (which would fit in a 9bit constant), or use some spin to copy the value over.
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2007-02-05 21:14
    I wish you could fold up methods to make the code smaller, then expand as needed.
  • Goran (Sweden)Goran (Sweden) Posts: 68
    edited 2007-02-05 21:17
    I Have the same problem as JoannaK, abowe
    Using Swedish Keyboard, Getting the Yen+$ when supposed to get only the $

Esally handled but annoying.yeah.gif Goran (Sweden)
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-05 21:51
    de smerby derby...

Just kiddin' I have been married to a Dane for 15 years.

(she hates it when I say that)

The only Danish I know is.

du ha smokke eyne
    tak fa mel

jig elsker dig

vour er mine rene sokker/unuboxer

(you know, the important phrases.. )
  • lassethomsenlassethomsen Posts: 46
    edited 2007-04-01 14:57
    So is there any solution to the yen/$ problem? Quite annoying. (Perhaps they hate Scandinavia?)

And bassmaster, you need the most important one:
    En oel mere, nu.
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-04-01 15:26
    And the answer: De ska de faa!

Many Scandinavians around. I have that yen+tilde problem, too. It would be better if it was a tilde+yen problem.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-01 17:05
    Don, John, Quattro, rokicki and Martin,

Considering how the communication is handled when a program is downloaded to the Propeller I can see where it would be entirely possible for sudden (if small) changes in resources cause the communication to get garbeled. The Propeller is effectively communicating with the PC using an internal oscillator which will vary across different chips. I will details for Chip, Jeff or someone else who wants to get into them but basically the host and Propeller hash out their communication and since a variance could throw things outside of that established window I can see where you might have the occasional issue depending on the PC. I have never had this happen on either of my computers, but my wife has a laptop that frequently seems to randomly grab all the CPU usage and stutter on her. I would be her PC would do this. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-01 17:39
    I'd love to know what exactly happpens when the p.c. has been on for a few days and you go to program the prop. (using Demo Board) and it just will not find program the prop. - finds it then drops out when it starts to program- even though all is well with the system ... (apparently).Yet a 'Restart' solves it !?

This does not happen with custom built units using a max232 serial interface interface .... so does it point to some anomaly with the FTDI drivers rather than the IDE .... Just wondering - its not really a problem ... but it would be nice to know what causes it.

BTW. Don't you just love windows - where else would you - Press 'Start' to 'Shutdown' !!!

Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 4/2/2007 12:12:31 AM GMT
  • scottascotta Posts: 168
    edited 2007-04-01 19:52
    I would love to see assembly macros.

When you run out of cog ram and compile, the IDE brings you to the bottom
    of your code, away from the problem at hand.

If you click on certain areas of the IDE, around the TABs, you get an index
    error. Do this too many times an the IDE pops.

Scott
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-04-01 19:59
    Re: Stop with Start button.

Your Audi may not have this any longer. But I still use the Start key to stop my Ford... wink.gif
    edited 2007-04-01 20:29
    lol ....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'