Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial buffer — Parallax Forums

Serial buffer

stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
edited 2007-02-02 17:35 in General Discussion
Good morning folks,

···· I'm working on a BS2sx project which could really use a good serial comm buffer.

···· If I could get something like 40 -50 characters, I would be extremely happy. Only needs to run up to 9600 baud. Has anyone seen such a beast?

··· I've used a couple of the usual suspects like the '3100 and the Rhombus 'green' but they are still a little short on capacity.

··· Or, is anyone interested in whipping up an SX version? Should have a simple command structure; maybe shiftin/shiftout where I can just say "give me bytes 0 to 25 of buffer #1" or "give me the number of bytes in the buffer".

···· If there's nothing available commercially, I'm willing to pay for development while i carry on with the other project.

·· Cheers,
·Tom
···

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
·

Comments

• Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2007-02-02 16:06
    Not quite sure but a MAX232 will serve also as buffer, but I'm not sure...sad.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--

The hellinic (Greek) robots portal: Greekbotics
    Many Projects and Schematics by the users·and also robotic news
    (Translate using babelfish)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-02 16:50
    Here's one other serial buffer chip with up to 64 characters: www.proteanlogic.com/product_periph_rs232.shtml
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-02-02 17:24
    Tom -

Why do you need such a large serial buffer? Is this for a GPS application? If so there may be better solutions available.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2007-02-02 17:35
    Hi folks,

Thanks for the quick responses.

What I have is a data and control system where I have up to 6 or 7 instrument packages (including GPS, which is actually the easiest to take care of) which are read in round-robin fashion by the BS2sx. Normally it can keep up, but if I have to do a re-read of one package, I can miss one set of data from one of the other instruments. The instrument packages are very sophisticated in their measuring ability, not so much on the communication end. Basically the only control is to set the repeat interval.

Thanks for the protean link, it might actually do the trick nicely.

Cheers,
    Tom

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·