Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
electronic view finders as microscreens for prop applications — Parallax Forums

electronic view finders as microscreens for prop applications

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2007-04-29 22:03 in Propeller 1
A comment in Bassmaster's thread on pocket TV's about camcorders reminded me that I have the eye piece of electronic viewfinder from an old camcorder, I know it works with a standard video input so it will work with the propeller probably. Unfortunately it is approximately 5hrs drive away from me but rest assured I will be trying it out as soon as I get home.

That aside electronic view finders could make either tiny screens for portable apps or can create large virtual screens. They should not be too expensive just because they are component parts of other items, at least I hope.

This one even does VGA:

www.oriscape.com.cn/EN/e_VF-3.htm

Anyway something to think about. I'm thinking a pair of propcams and a pair of screens and I could create bionic vision goggles!

Graham

Comments

• James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2007-02-02 02:27
    Graham,

A couple of those, helmet,a gyro chip, accelerometer, some rf transceivers,·a Gatling gun and mobile platform.....you have a new RPV tank. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

James L
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-02-02 02:27
    You could make a wearable Propeller computer with that.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-02 02:37
    One thing I'd be interested to find out is how much eye-relief they afford, i.e. how far they can be from the eye and still provide the full screen effect. The same company also makes video glasses (with
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-02-02 03:23
    I have a pair of these and really like them.
    http://www.myvu.com/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-02 03:36
    Brian,

Do you just use them with a video iPod, or have you been able to hack them for other uses?

-Phil
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-02-02 03:39
    I use them with my wireless video downlink that is attached to a 4 mp digital camera that rides first class in one of my electric Aerial Photography planes. I use them to frame shoots

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-02 11:15
    glad to see my idea's are not in vain. Good idea! I have a few garage sale viewfinders in the garage from the older camcoders,... hmm this should be fun. Maybe even a digital microscope or telecope capture device with the sd card code....
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-02-02 11:55
    Phil, I'm not sure what you mean by eye relief? As far I know they have imaging optics to ensure that you see a full screen without having to glue them to your eyeballs.

I've seen some of those video glasses for ipods on ebay for pretty good prices and they have video in cables too.

Graham
  • big_markbig_mark Posts: 49
    edited 2007-02-02 13:10
    You could always hack one of these and adapt it for Prop use. www.shopwildplanet.com/prod/WPT70133.html

The camera, transmitter, and display are all likely to be off-the-shelf parts and easily modified. The display is probably 320x200 or thereabouts. Perfect for low-res video...
    edited 2007-04-26 22:27
    I finally got around to trying the view finder, it works a treat and I'd say gives better picture quality than the 2.5" screens when viewed through the lenses in the origional assembly. Standard text is clearly visiblewith great contrast.

I've taken it to pieces because I have a few lumiled K2 LEDs with lenses that kick out 160 lumen, I think it might make a short range micro projector, either way it will be great fun to play with.

Graham

attachment.php?attachmentid=46873
    800 x 600 - 94K
    800 x 600 - 78K
    edited 2007-04-26 22:58
    Graham,

That is great....I'll start looking for one now.

James L
    edited 2007-04-26 23:50
    Projecting was fun, I had the graphics demo projected on the ceiling using the lens from a microfiche, at about 4ft accross it wasn't especially bright but it was still very sharp. Obviously lights needed to be turned off.

Graham
    edited 2007-04-27 00:08
    Just can't find a display like that....I'm sure it is the way I'm searching......rats.

James L
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-04-27 20:36
    this subject is very interesting.·

I have a very old (1991) Sony handycam w/ B&W view finder.· I am looking forward to using that view finder in my project.· However, before I ripped it open, I wanted to get input from this grp.·

Please look at the attached pictures.· Can someone tell me which of these wires mean what and where they need to be hooked into on the Prop Demo board.· from the pictures, you can tell that the VF is really vintage [noparse]:)[/noparse]· - almost like a picture tube.

Also, from the pics, you can tell that there are 4 wires (3 grey and 1 while) that go into the camera.· I am hoping I will be able to easily hook this up to my demo board.

thanks in advance guys

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
    640 x 480 - 144K
    640 x 480 - 156K
    640 x 480 - 149K
    640 x 480 - 140K
    640 x 480 - 154K
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-04-27 20:48
    use the closest polarized caps to locate ground and power, then your guesswork is cut in half, one of the remaining ones is most likely going to be composite video in, unfortunately, I can't help with figuring out the last one

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.

Post Edited (CJ) : 4/27/2007 8:54:00 PM GMT
    edited 2007-04-27 22:37
    Well that looks like a tiny CRT to me. The metal box probably has some high volts comming out of it.

You will need the PCB, there only seem to be three wires going back to the camcorder, two will be power and the remaining one video, follow CJ's advice to find the GND and 5v and the one left is your video.

If the camcorder still works powering it up will be one way to check those signals.

Graham
    edited 2007-04-27 22:47
    CJ, thanks for the tip. IT WORKED!!

She's a B&W beauty. Please see pics.

Graham, thanks·for kicking off this thread!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    640 x 480 - 148K
    640 x 480 - 142K
    640 x 480 - 144K
    640 x 480 - 155K
    640 x 480 - 150K
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-04-27 22:58
    ALIBE,

Your 4th photo is sort of scary. Hopefully you know where the HV on that pcb is.

It could be several hundred volts. Looked very close to the Demo board crystal.
    Could possibly lose the Prop and the viewfinder if it ZAPs on something if one isn't
    careful. Just an observation. If you have a high voltage range on your multimeter
    check the voltage on that heavily insulated wire conductor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2007-04-27 23:08
    thanks Harley

good observation [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2007-04-29 22:03
    Glad you got it working, head mounted propeller apps here we come. Combine with propcam when it comes out and you can go looking for Sarah Conner [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Its a shame there is nothing a bit more off the shelf available though those ipod video specs might be worth a look at as they take video in.

Graham