Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SAW III and proximity sensors — Parallax Forums

SAW III and proximity sensors

metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
edited 2007-02-01 15:29 in General Discussion
I was thinking how nice a proximity sensor that detected humanoids would have come in handy when that police woman did not realize the bad person was behind her. We have them for cars that back up. Just think something watching your back side while you walk down a dark hallway, perhaps able to scan around corners to detect muggers.

Build it and they will buy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
Think outside the BOX!

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-02-01 10:46
    They won't buy it unless it works and works no matter how they abuse it.

A simple proximity-sensor won't work. Too many false positives in everyday situations.

A thermal camera might work, but having a helmet-mounted LCD may be impractical in everyday use.

I don't know what history you're referring to, but usually cops operate in pairs for a very good reason.
    (no, not to hold the door open while the other carries the donuts)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2007-02-01 11:19
    He 's refering to a horor - thriller movie, which personately can't watch, but trying to·use a thermal sensor
    ·for this is just not a good idea... It would react into everything even a light bulb (which emit a low frequency radiation(not hazard))
    A thermal CCD it something, as metioned, but.....
    Well there are ways but don't even thing of them... they sound like science-fiction

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--

The hellinic (Greek) robots portal: Greekbotics
    Many Projects and Schematics by the users·and also robotic news
    (Translate using babelfish)
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-02-01 15:29
    Sorry it was late and I forgot some people don't even know what saw III is. I just finished watching it and the extras on how the film was made, the props and gadgets they used in the movie, course then I start to have thoughts as well on devices that don't yet exist.

It is a movie as Provas said. The scene had a police woman alone in a room, she heard a noise and fired 4 shots into a door because she saw her live video feed on the tv that was in the room. She then looks for the camera and the bad guy comes up from behind and knocks her out.

I was thinking how my daughter goes to a place in the city where she is very uncomfortable walking to her car alone and she talks on her cell to my wife while she goes to the car.

So I then thought about star trek and Spock with his tri-corder and wondered just what if we had a device that we could hold on to like some of us hold our keys or mace while we walk alone through an empty parking lot. What if we had a device we could get a lock on someone lurking around a corner, an early warning system like a jet fighter radar that alerts to incoming missiles.

I know it is not a basic stamp project, not easy to do, not cheap, I am not even thinking about actually building it, perhaps we do not have the technology yet to even make a crude prototype but I still like to ponder with what little knowledge I have in physics and electronics the possibility of a device that could very well save lives in situations like the movie scene mentioned above.

The reference to cars above, I was thinking of the sonic sensors used to alert the driver to an object when backing a car up. I tend to think of all the positives on a project first and then tear them apart with reality. But thermal I would think could be part of the input to an AI system as well a sonar.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!