Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Home-Work Board USB problem — Parallax Forums

Home-Work Board USB problem

TylerTyler Posts: 4
edited 2007-02-09 18:16 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I am having problems getting my mac to recognize the HomeWork Board. I am using a Serial to USB converter. Can this work?
Thank You,
Tyler

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-02-01 00:21
    Tyler,

If you mean USB to Serial adapter, you must use a compatible unit and have the correct drivers for it installed. The FTDI-based units we carry seem to work for many of our Mac users. The FTDI website has the Mac drivers available. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • TylerTyler Posts: 4
    edited 2007-02-01 00:29
    Thank you Chris,
    I will try the FTDI site again, if it doesn't work I'll be back with mor questions.
    Tyler
    edited 2007-02-01 04:05
    OK
    Just so you all know and probably already do, the Radio Shack USB/Serial adapter, and the Belkin adapters do not work for Basic Stamp on a mac. I had to order a Keyspan USA-19hs. If this was a miss-guided purchase let me know.
    Tyler
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-02-01 14:13
    Yup, the Keyspan is one of the good ones.
  • BudWBudW Posts: 2
    edited 2007-02-04 19:20
    i am having the same problem with a Dell laptop and windows xp. Do I need to find a driver also

BudW
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-02-04 21:10
    What USB to serial adapter are you using? Many don't fully implement all the RS-232 signals and aren't compatable with the Stamp. That's why Parallax introduced their own inexpensive FTDI based USB to Serial adapter for $15.
  • BudWBudW Posts: 2
    edited 2007-02-05 16:02
    Well I dumped the Radio Shack and now am trying a Dynex but I still don't have a com port.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-05 16:17
    I've had no problems using either Parallax's USB to serial adapters or Keyspan's High Speed adapter with MacBS2 to program Stamps. They also work with either Guest PC and Windows on a PowerBook to use the Stamp Editor or with Parallel Desktop and Windows on a MacBook with either the Stamp Editor or the Propeller Tool.
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2007-02-05 22:41
    Is your mac an Intel Mac? I had problems getting a keyspan USA-19HS to work with MacBS2, gave up and went back to programming Stamps with my crumby old laptop with a serial port.
    I noticed yesterday that there is a new Keyspan Driver for Intel Macs (2.27, I think) I downloaded it and, While I was at it, I downloaded the newest version of MacBS2, which recognizes my adapter as one that is known to work.

All is good. Now I don't have to drag out the laptop.

If you have an Intel Mac, that may solve your problem. Even if you don't, the newest MacBS2 may help.

Now, If I can get the Prop Tool to work on it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • eluhneluhn Posts: 1
    edited 2007-02-09 16:39
    I'm jumping in on this discussion because I'm having the same problem with my Homw Work Board, PC laptop and Belkin adaptor.

So do I understand correctly that a Belkin adaptor will not work, even on a PC? Loopback and Echo both read "yes," but it doesn't recognize any device as being attached.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-02-09 16:44
    Correct, many people have had trouble with Belkin USB adaptors with the BS2.
    edited 2007-02-09 18:16
    Hey guys,
    I just got the Keyspan; it works great. I spent a lot of time trying to get other adapters to work. It is not worth the effort unless you are writing a research paper on adaptability.
    Tyler