Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Current Consumption of Parallax PIR Sensor — Parallax Forums

Current Consumption of Parallax PIR Sensor

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2007-02-05 21:15 in General Discussion
Hey,

Does anybody know the current consumption of Parallax PIR Motion Sensor?
Funny the datasheet does not specify it.
I need to use it for a battery powered project.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.fd.com.my
www.mercedes.com.my

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-31 15:48
    William,

The datasheet is being updated today and will reflect that information. To answer your question current draw is approximately ~100uA. Unfortunately my meter has trouble with extremely low current measurement (<1mA) so this is close. The PIR will operate at 3.3V as well. Check over the next two days for updated documentation. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2007-02-01 04:05
    At boot up I measured a max peak of .200ma. After a 30 second "settle" period, The PIR will sit at .120ma during non motion state. When it senses motion, it peaks to .150ma and then settles back to .120ma in non motion state.

The PIR was jumpered for Active LOW. But when jumpered for Active HIGH I read the same readings.

This is real world measurements at 5v, with a fairly expensive and accurate meter that has up to 200u accuracy.

I used a 10k resistor between my SX microcontroller's input pin and the output pin of the PIR to tell when the PIR was in a triggered state. The microcontroller turned on a LED when the PIR sensed motion.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Meh. Nothing here, move along.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-02-05 21:15
    Well I verified the current readings today at Paul’s desk with a very expensive HP current meter. @3.3V the current was less than .1mA and @5V it was ~.125mA. At less than .2mA current draw this is really an ideal situation for battery powered applications.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support