Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help — Parallax Forums

Help

rizirizi Posts: 4
edited 2007-01-29 16:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I'm trying to make a security system for a friend's gym. The way I've envisioned it to·work is that members would swipe their membership cards and punch a password from a key pad. If the password matches the one encrypted in the magnetic card the door would open. Also, I want to be able to store a log of all members who entered. I was wondering if I could do this with a Basic Stamp. The other problem that I have is my acute knowledge of magnetic card readers. I don't know what kind of signals the reader head generates (that is where I plan on getting the card information from).
Can someone please help me develop on this idea?
Help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rizi

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-01-29 14:22
    These are available commercially. In general trying to duplicate a system available commercially, especially one with some 'scale' to it (hundreds of cards, perhaps several 'swipe' stations) and requiring good reliability, is not cost effective.

You might research what is already commercially available before you try implementing a BS2 based solution.
  • rizirizi Posts: 4
    edited 2007-01-29 15:44
    Thanks. I will definately look into it... but I want to take this project and do it myself... because if i recommend an off the shelf product, i don't get paid for anything[noparse]:([/noparse]
    suggestions
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2007-01-29 16:35
    Hi rizi, this might help you understand a little about tag readers and it may help you get started. Read the documentation associated with this link and if you think it will work for you buy the parts and prototype it. Keeping records on a PC database is possible via a serial link, if you dont have any ideas on how your going to do that just yet then that will be a whole different subject.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28140

Jeff T.