Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scribbler robot is moving to this forum — Parallax Forums

Scribbler robot is moving to this forum

Aristides AlvarezAristides Alvarez Posts: 486
edited 2010-11-20 16:51 in Robotics
Hello robotics enthusiasts,
·
The headquarters for the Scribbler robot on-line support is being relocated to our popular and multiplatform Parallax Robotics Forum (this forum).
·
Just in case you don’t know how the Scribbler Robot looks like, I’m adding a picture below.
·28136.jpg
From now on, Scribbler owners will be encouraged to participate in this forum, sharing questions and answers with the rest of the robotics community. The former Scribbler forum will be closed once some relevant information is transferred to this forum.
·
Most of the information about the Scribbler is available as a free download in its website, but I’m adding to this message a couple of schematics that can only be found in our forums.
·
I’d like to welcome all Scribbler robot users and I hope that in this forum they can achieve critical mass to discuss any new developments (as for example a team that is integrating the Scribbler into Microsoft Robotics Studio, with a hacked Bluetooth module).
·
Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Aristides Alvarez
Education Manager
Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• Aristides AlvarezAristides Alvarez Posts: 486
    edited 2007-01-29 03:27
    I'm attaching to this message the Perl source code for the·Scribbler Program Maker GUI Software.

This software was created by Phil Pilgrim of Bueno Systems and it is available here for download·offered under GPL software license: www.fsf.org.

Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aristides Alvarez
    Education Manager
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Ron GingerRon Ginger Posts: 2
    edited 2007-02-08 02:20
    I am building a new system for my grandson and he really needs the Scribbler gui. I am tired of his crashes on Windows so I'm using Edubuntu in hopes the better security will make a more stable system

I am having trouble finding the Tk.pm module

Has anyone got Scribble running on Edubuntu?

ron ginger
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-08 03:33
    The Tk "module" is not written in Perl, but is an entire windowing subsystem that has to be installed separately. I found this site with Google, which says:

If you are using Ubuntu, a easy way of installing Perl/Tk is using this command...

sudo apt-get install perl-tk

You will also need to rewrite significant portions of the Perl code that are particular to Windows, especially those portions dealing with the serial port. As an alternative, you might try running the Windows GUI executable under Wine.

Good luck!

-Phil
  • Ron GingerRon Ginger Posts: 2
    edited 2007-02-09 02:41
    Thanks, I tried wine and was amazed to find the windows code opened just fine with it. I was able to use the gui to draw a simple program, but when I tried to download it, even though I didnt have a scribbler plugged in, it reported success. However there were some errors from wine about 'not implemented' so there are apparently serial port problems. I will continue to work on this, it seems faster that getting all the perl stuff modified to linux. I may also try the CrossOver software, teh commercial version of wine.

ron
  • HenrymouHenrymou Posts: 128
    edited 2007-02-21 07:56
    Yeah, my little bro loves the scribbler, maybe he will be here soon
  • liljoentxliljoentx Posts: 25
    edited 2007-04-06 22:36
    Could you all break "Robotics" down further?
    Like a separate Forum for each of the Toddler, Scribbler, etc. enthusiasts.
    Searching for information specific to one's individual interests would be made so much easier!
    Thanks and Happy Easter T'all!

Lil'Joe
  • wolliewollie Posts: 7
    edited 2007-09-18 17:39
    Hello there,

We have bought the scribbler robot just a souple of days ago.
    But I have problems for programming the line sensor and bar codes.freaked.gif
    ·he scribblers read the barcodes 1 time about 20.
    Is there somebody who can help me?

Thxyeah.gif
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-09-18 18:31
    wollie,

I have an answer for you; but could you start a new thread, please, in the Robotics forum, and we can work on it there.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • wolliewollie Posts: 7
    edited 2007-09-18 18:43
    Hello Phil

I'have made a new thread under
    robotics
    troubles with scribbler robot.

Thanks
    Wollie
  • liljoentxliljoentx Posts: 25
    edited 2008-12-04 02:05
    Mr. Alvarez,

Out of ease of use for and reference by all, might I suggest the separation of all the specific Parallax robots into yet their own separate forum under the Robotics Main category!

Thanks,

Lil'Joe
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-11-15 20:14
    This thread is being let loose and sticky is hereby removed to prepare for the S2 arrival in the next week or two.

Ken Gracey
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-11-16 10:02
    "If you love something, set it free..."
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-11-19 20:11
    So long old blue thread!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-11-19 22:10
    But not "so long old blue". I have three S1's; Huey, Dewey and Louie still have lots of important work to do!
    edited 2010-11-20 15:08
    No way I'm saying bye to old blue either...
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-11-20 15:40
    Whit wrote: »
    No way I'm saying bye to old blue either...

That makes three of us, because I'm trading one customer in Canada - 130 S1s for 130 S2s. The S1s are still in use by different programs and I'd like to keep a few of them for my personal robot cellar. Who knows - maybe I can send a few to erco and Whit to store in their museums. Past version, yes; long gone and forgotten: no way!

You know, since we unhooked the sticky on this thread it has more activity than when it was sticky. erco is a true robot fanatic. . .I don't think he could pass up making comments on his favorite hobby.

Another thought - erco will need an S2 pretty quickly too so he can replicate his self-charging station project.

Well, just got news that 350 S2s are shipping Monday morning by AIR (yes, on a 747). Hopefully these first units can be used to fill the backorders. Then the container of 4,700 arrives mid-December at latest.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2010-11-20 16:51
    erco and I will be happy to open a home for blue Scribblers...

Can't wait for that container though. I have the GatorBots in a frenzy for the new red S2s.