Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reset Switch - External — Parallax Forums

Reset Switch - External

computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
edited 2007-02-02 06:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

Is there an easy way to connect an external reset switch up to a BS2 that is in the BOE socket.

Thanks smile.gif

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-01-27 12:56
    "easy way... external reset switch..."

I guess you want another reset button, a wired "remote".·

Yes?

If so, you can solder another push-button switch's leads (wires)·in parallel with the existing, on-board switch (if possible, with a gently-twisted pair.)

Won't get much easier than that.

[noparse][[/noparse] "...when life looks like Easy Street there is danger at your door."· The Grateful Dead ]
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2007-01-27 23:55
    Thanks will do that. I just thought there might have been a pbasic 2.5 function to reset the chip but obviously not.

Thanks
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2007-01-28 01:56
    computer guy said...
    Thanks will do that. I just thought there might have been a pbasic 2.5 function to reset the chip but obviously not.
    You asked to "connect" an "external reset switch".

What do you want to accomplish (situation, decision-making) in resetting?

E.g., do you want to restart the program to run from the beginning when some situation occurs?

That can be accomplished,·more or less,·under program control, including I suppose sending a signal from the BS2 program to some external circuitry to·pull the Reset pin low.

Or do you want to manually press a button to cause a reset by some separate system external to the BS2/program?

Or, are you simply wanting easier access to a physical button than what is possible with the built-in reset button (in which case, PJA's reply is appropriate)?

PAR

Post Edited (PAR) : 1/28/2007 5:17:44 AM GMT
    edited 2007-01-28 02:37
    I am building a robot in a sealed case and need easy access to the reset switch in case i need to reset the BS2 module.

Thanks
    edited 2007-02-02 05:17
    Is it the green and yellow pins or the green and blue pins.

Thank you smile.gif
    570 x 229 - 80K
  • latigerlillylatigerlilly Posts: 114
    edited 2007-02-02 05:58
    computer guy,

The green is connected to Rst (for reset) on the BS2 chip. Solder the green to one lead of another external reset switch. Solder the other lead of the external reset switch to Vss. This is according to the schematic of the BS2 on the Parallax website.

Good luck,
    Lilly.
    edited 2007-02-02 06:02
    Which of the other pins is connected to vss or are all of the other pins connected to Vss.
    edited 2007-02-02 06:07
    No,

The other pins in your pic only serve to hold down the reset switch. Just solder the other lead of the reset switch to Vss. It is marked Vss on the board itself.

Cheers,
    Lilly.
    edited 2007-02-02 06:18
    The switch in the pic are of the original reset switch on the board of education. It currently resets the stamp if pressed how does it reset the stamp if only one pin of the button is connected to anything? smile.gif
    edited 2007-02-02 06:37
    Look on the other side of the board, there is a line etched on the board running underneath the switch. This corresponds with the schematic:
    www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/boards/BOERevC.pdf
    According to the schematic, you don't have to solder the new switch to the connections of the old switch. Just solder on of the switch's connections to the "green" and the other connection to Vss.
    edited 2007-02-02 06:58
    Thanks turns out that the original switch is green and yellow.

I wanted to connect a "2 pin" pin header up to the original reset switch to make the external switch removable.

Thank you smile.gif