Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Demo Board question. — Parallax Forums

Propeller Demo Board question.

RontopiaRontopia Posts: 139
edited 2007-01-30 19:46 in Propeller 1
im not sure if im posting this in the proper place, if not please forgive

my question is about the Propeller Demo Board. after looking at it closely it appears that all the i/o's are taken. well all but 0 through 7. am I seeing this correctly? can you use the i/o anyway you choose but they are prewired to be used in other ways?

I might be better off with the Propeller Education Kit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Muahdib

IC layout designer
Austin Texas

Comments

• asterickasterick Posts: 158
    edited 2007-01-26 23:35
    Yes, all the I/O is already predisposed for other things. If you need more I/O than that, it's recommended that you go with the education kit or preorder the prototype kit (which is a better deal IMHO)

You can get more I/O if you cut the leads to things, but that would be distructive and probably unrepairable.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-01-27 00:36
    Right, the demo board is a demo board; it's intended for testing out certain things and just figuring out what the prop can do.

If you need more than eight lines, you can develop parts on the demo board, but in general you want to move to either a
    breadboard or protoboard setup where you can put all the pieces together and have all the lines to work with.

I started with the PropStick, and it was great, but let me tell you, having all the connectors, LEDs, etc. all wired up on the
    demo board is such a *huge* convenience.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-01-27 02:43
    Also, the hydra has 8-11 free I/Os available on the expansion port which are switched out of the VGA circuit with an option switch, so if you want to build add on and do experiments with somethnig that's is on a PCB, that's anothr option.

Andre'
  • asterickasterick Posts: 158
    edited 2007-01-27 02:51
    If only the hydra didn't cost so much, I would be all over that like white on rice. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • RontopiaRontopia Posts: 139
    edited 2007-01-30 19:46
    thanks guys

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Muahdib

IC layout designer
    Austin Texas