alleykatalleykat Posts: 9
edited 2007-01-25 16:31 in General Discussion
attachment.php?attachmentid=74095
780 x 72 - 2K

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-01-25 15:13
    alleykat -

If you're planning to cover only 90 degrees, I presume you're speaking of the center "cone" of the 180 degree area in front of your robot (see below), or is that a bad presumption?

·· \······· /······· \······· |···· |······ /
    45 \ 90 / 45······ \ 30 | 30 | 30 /
    ····
    macro view·······center cone only

The following is regardless of the setup above.

There is no reason why your photo-resistors won't work, but here are some thoughts you might want to consider in an alternate approach, and the advantages of using that approach. Personally, I would shy away from the three photo-resistors you are suggesting, in favor of three photo-transistors.

First,·photo-transistors will usually give a faster response at the sensor, second, the signal/sensor acquisition time will generally be less, and third, they can usually be better shielded from ambient light from unwanted directions, if that becomes an issue.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • ltmhallltmhall Posts: 102
    edited 2007-01-25 16:02
    If I chose photo-transistors could I connect them in parallel with capacitors as shown in the robotics manual ?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-01-25 16:31
    ltmhall -

Just as a general matter, I can't see why not, although I don't know of which specific circuit you're speaking. The downside to doing that is you lose the ability to determant whiich photo detector (sector) is detecting the light, if that's of any importance. By way of example it would be of importance if you wanted to turn TOWARDS the light source. otherwise just moving forward might cause you to pass it by.

To be truthful the beam width of the light source (flashlight or whatever) will have as much to do with whether or not it will be detected as all these machinations with multiple photo sensors. Just something to consider.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->