Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX IDE, SX-Key, SX/B for Windows ME — Parallax Forums

SX IDE, SX-Key, SX/B for Windows ME

ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
edited 2007-01-24 22:54 in General Discussion
I've been hankering to start using the SX chips, but the only PC around here was Windows 95 machine (we are primarly Mac and I don't run virtual PC).

A colleague just dumped an old HP desktop on me while moving offices. It's got an 850 MHz AMD Athlon processor running Windows ME.

Will the SX IDE and SX-Key run on Windows ME? The machine has two serial ports so I'm not worried about USB driver issues.

(The same question goes for the Propeller and Stamp IDEs, too, actually).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-01-24 18:08
    I'm pretty sure the SX-Key IDE will run on Windows 95.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2007-01-24 18:12
    What about Windows ME? The newer machine is much zippier, bigger monitor/resolution, etc. I would prefer to use it. Mostly I don't want to excitedly wait for my SX tools and chips and then not be able to use them.

If I download the SX software and install it, and it runs, could I figure it will be OK? I wouldn't have a way to dump a program to an SX and check all the way through.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-01-24 19:06
    Zoot,

There is no official support for Windows 95 or ME, but as far as I know, there is nothing in the code that will prevent them from working on either OS. Downloading, installing, and running the software will give you a pretty good idea of how successful you'll be. The communications code that talks to the SX is all handled using plain Win32 API calls, so they should work fine. I believe you'll be fine.
      Thanks, PeterM
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2007-01-24 21:41
    OK, I downloaded current Stamp and SX-Key software. Both installed and ran fine on my Windows ME machine. The Stamp software downloaded fine to a BS2. I have no way to check if SX IDE downloads to an SX because I haven't bought hardware yet smile.gif

So, the feeling seems to be this will probably work??? (there is a standard D-sub serial port on the front of the machine)

That would be so cool. Because I'd order an SX-Key and some chips quickly smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • David BDavid B Posts: 591
    edited 2007-01-24 22:54
    I've programmed an SX on Win95, Win98 and Win98SE with no problems at all.

The propeller IDE won't work on anything earlier than win2k, though, but that's because it uses some library that isn't available for the win9x systems. But the SX code works just fine.

David