Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gerber — Parallax Forums

Gerber

nwojessenwojesse Posts: 10
edited 2007-01-25 04:28 in General Discussion
I need some help. How do I take the Gerber files from the BASIC Stamp and use them on a Modela milling machine. I've looked at the PCB Design and make and none of the file extensions are accepted. So I guess the question is: What program do I use to make the Gerber Files into tool paths for Modela that is free?

Thanks,
Jesse Anderson

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-24 15:40
    This thread is being moved from the Stamps In Class Forum to the Sandbox Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2007-01-24 17:44
    You're right. These aren't good file extensions...I opened a few of them up in notepad to look at them, and there is data in there. I don't know if it is correct data for your milling machine, though...If it is, you should be able to just change the file extensions. It looks like there is a possible naming convention now, but Parallax will have to tell us for sure....

...But these aren't straight gerbers...
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-01-24 21:58
    Maybe? http://sinfor.lcs.mit.edu:8180/pcbmill/ (try google, it works)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2007-01-25 01:41
    While not directly answering your question as to how to use Parallax's PCB files on your Modela, I can answer your question about the Gerber file names (for at least some of the Parallax published PCB).

Some time ago, I posted to another thread a link to an article providing a simple Introduction To G-Codes, ·(http://mcglothin.us/RobotScrapbook/CommunityPcbMill2005/IntroductionToGCodes/index.php).· About half-way down (or use the "Gerber Files" link at the top) are the details about the OEM Basic Stamp PCB.

HTH,
    Daniel
  • nwojessenwojesse Posts: 10
    edited 2007-01-25 03:16
    Thanks Franklin, but I have tried that site and it just stops halfway through on the processing. So, Daniel, Gerber files aren't actually made for drill milling, but for a type of printer?
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2007-01-25 04:28
    Gerber files are one type of a larger family of files that might be called G-Code files. Specifically, the typical Gerber machine is a photoplotter that exposes a photosensitive resist mask as part of PCB preparation. Gerber is pretty close to, however, the broader industrial CNC G-Code.

Excellon is the drill file associated with PCBs; and it too is a variation (or dialect) of G-Code.

If you want isolation milling (similar to what NewZed does, see especially near the end of the PCB Mill thread), I think there are programs that take Gerber files as input and produce a mill's G-Code for isolation milling as output. I know that, for example, the Eagle schematic capture tool has an output tool (plugin) that produces the isolation milling G-Code for a typical mill.

HTH,
    Daniel