Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
still no loopback and no echo — Parallax Forums

still no loopback and no echo

Spartan-117Spartan-117 Posts: 5
edited 2007-01-22 20:10 in BASIC Stamp
I purchased the HomeWork Board, and I still can't get it to work. I've tried everything. I checked serial connections, the first 9V I was using turned out to be dead, so I used a different one and that time the LED came on, but still no luck communicating. So then I changed the FIFO buffer thing. Still no good. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-22 15:21
    Hello,

No LOOP BACK or ECHO could indicate a bad cable, Serial Port or that you’re using an incompatible adapter of some sort. Is the PC a laptop or desktop? Are you using the supplied cable to connect it? Are there any adapters or USB converters being used?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Spartan-117Spartan-117 Posts: 5
    edited 2007-01-22 15:46
    I have a serial port, so I'm not using a USB converter or anything like that. I'm using a desktop, and the supplied cable.
    edited 2007-01-22 15:54
    The fact that you have no loop back would seem to indicate no physical connection to the board. This could mean either the port or the cable is bad. Do you have a continuity checker or DMM with that feature (or just resistance) you could use to verify that all 9 pins on the cable connect to the correct pins on the other end? All 9 should go straight through.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-01-22 17:40
    Spartan -

Which operating system are you using, and which version of the PBASIC Editor/IDE?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2007-01-22 18:18
    I'm running WinXP and using BASIC Stamp Editor/Development System v2.2.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2007-01-22 18:31
    Are you running any "special" software on the PC? I remember that I had a bear of a time getting mine to work way back when... turned out that the hot sync software for my Palm Pilot was the culprit... once I disabled the software, it worked like a charm!
    edited 2007-01-22 18:36
    No, I actually cleaned up a lot of junk recently. And I don't have a Palm Pilot, so I think there would be a very small chance for that to be to problem.
    edited 2007-01-22 18:49
    Palm Pilot/PDA software would typically result in a message that the port couldn’t be opened. The fact that the port can be opened but no LOOP BACK means there is a bad connection somewhere. Do you have access to another PC and/or another straight through serial cable to help narrow down the problem. Even without power you should be getting LOOP BACK with the board connected to the PC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-01-22 19:49
    Perhaps you're not using the correct COM port?
    edited 2007-01-22 19:59
    allanlane5-

I'm using the two available COM ports that I have, which are both detected by my PC.

Chris-

I'll take that into consideration, I've spent too much money already on this project and I don't have any spare serial cables, so I'll have to borrow one from someone. I'll get back to you on that.
    edited 2007-01-22 20:10
    If the cable is the problem we'll send you out a replacement, but I'd like to narrow it down to that first, since a bad cable is extremely rare. Let us know what you find out. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support