Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Education Kit and VGA? — Parallax Forums

Education Kit and VGA?

Mr._PackratMr._Packrat Posts: 4
edited 2007-01-23 16:54 in Propeller 1
Sorry if this is a lame question, but I recently purchased an education kit (married + kids = poor).· I made and add-on pcb for a VGA cable with resistors, etc.· It appears·that the demo board uses pins 16-23 for VGA output.· I've hooked up just the LEDs (with current limiting resisitors, and tried to load the VGA_Text.spin sample code to check it out.· When I load the app into the propeller, none of the LEDs light.·· I modified and example program to toggle the LEDs on and off to erify that the propeller and LEDs work.· I'm I missing something painfully basic?

I've found the line:
· vga_pins := basepin | %000_111

but, where do I set the code to drive pins·16-23? or is this already the default?·

I have the pins setup as follows:
Pin 16 -= vsync
Pin 17 -= hsync

Pin 18 -= Blue (470ohm) bit 1
Pin 19 -= Blue (220ohm) bit 0

Pin·20 -= Green (470ohm) bit 1
Pin·21 -= Green (220ohm) bit 0

Pin·22 -=·Red (470ohm) bit 1
Pin·23 -= Red·(220ohm) bit 0

I would thing at the very least I'd see LEDs strobing?

Thanks in advance for any help or sample code (or a clue)
- Dan

Comments

• Mr._PackratMr._Packrat Posts: 4
    edited 2007-01-22 03:53
    I am guessing that this %000_111 works basically like a mask to specify the 8 pins to use based on the first pin.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-01-22 04:11
    VGA_Text.spin is an Object. It is not a standalone program. Try Running VGA_Text_Demo.spin It should be in the ...examples\Library subfolder. It shows how to use the VGA_Text object, and can be run as-is and you will get output to your VGA screen, to verify your homebrew PCB works.

The value passed to the "Start" command is the basepin. That is how you set up which group of pins to use for the VGA adapter. In this example, they pass the value of 16 as the basepin. It uses the group of 8 pins starting at 16 (i.e. 16-23)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • Mr._PackratMr._Packrat Posts: 4
    edited 2007-01-22 19:31
    Thank you Partsman. I ended up just breadboarding the vga and all is well now. I swapped out my 220ohm resistors for 240 ohms as well. For all of you other experiment board owners, you don't need the resistors and leds tapped off of each pin for vga to work, but they are handy to see if anything is going on at first.

These propeller chips are quite addictive. I can't wait for my protoboards to ship out!

- Dan

PS - Does anyone know if any GFX sprite libraries exist for the propeller or do you need to go with the hydra book for these goodies? I have Andre's first game console book and have really enjoyed reading it cover to cover, so maybe Father's day will bring me the hydra manual...
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-01-23 16:38
    No sprite libaries exist for the propeller yet. (unless you rip them from the Hydra demos)
    But any one 4 color sprite would work. You'd just have to convert it over.

The Hydra graphics code is nice though!! It supports all 86 color on the sprites!
    NTSC that is.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-01-23 16:54
    Yeah, for many things the "missing element" in tv.spin and vga.spin is a mouse sprite.

That's a challenge for all you hackers out there! Can you add a mouse sprite to tv.spin?