Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bad BS1 Serial Adapter? — Parallax Forums

Bad BS1 Serial Adapter?

Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
edited 2007-01-28 21:26 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to "roll my own" BasicStamp1 and running into lots of problems... (see post http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=626313)

I think my problem may actually be·the BS1 Serial Adapter...

I hooked up my programming cable to my OEM Stamp 2 (with the Interperter Chip and the EEMPROM removed) and the power off and got:
Loopback = Yes
Echo = Yes

I then hooked up my programming cable to the BS1 Serial Adapter (which was not connected to anything else) and got:
Loopback = No
Echo = No

Can I infer from this that the problem lies with the BS1 Serial Adapter?··Should I be getting "Yes" to both Loopback and Echo?

I have learned that the schematic for the surface mount version of the BS1 is not identical to the parts for the DIP version... Is it that the BS1 Serial Adapter is only designed to work for the Surface Mounted BS1 and not the DIP version?

Post Edited (Steve Joblin) : 1/21/2007 7:22:44 PM GMT

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-01-21 19:50
    Sorry, I can't offer any troubleshooting advice. I just wanted to point out the BS1 Project board (which includes the BS1, the serial interface and a small breadboard) seems like a great deal at $14.95 www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27112
  • randyazrandyaz Posts: 61
    edited 2007-01-21 20:00
    Did you double check to make sure you dont have the adapter plugged in upside down?
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2007-01-21 20:57
    Yes Forrest, the BS1 Project Board is a great deal... It is just more fun for me to roll my own!

Yes Randyaz, Quadrouple checked everything... the pin next to the ">>" is Ground.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-01-21 21:24
    My BS1 serial adapter works.· I plugged it into my cable and·unconnected to BS1 and with Identify and Run·it bounces back 'No' to Loopback and 'No' to Echo.

Update --
    I remember helping somebody else, maybe a year ago; he had it hooked up "just like the diagram shows" and after a page or two of back & forth I figured out that he didn't have anything connected to +V (because it's not shown "in the diagram", but it·is in my diagram.·)

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 1/21/2007 9:32:44 PM GMT
    583 x 597 - 35K
    edited 2007-01-21 22:24
    Thanks PJ! Interesting that you get the same.... maybe it is my Interpreter... I ordered a new one, and yes, I have it connected to +5V and ground...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-22 15:16
    Steve,

You won’t get ECHO or LOOP BACK on the BS1. It was not originally designed to program through the serial interface but rather the Printer Port, which didn’t have those features. However the actual communication was serial in nature, hence the ease of porting it over to the serial port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-01-28 21:26
    Thanks so much to everyone who helped with this... new Interpreter Chip arrived yesterday... dropped it in, and works like a charm!· A bad Interperter Chip was the culprit after all my struggles!· At least my problem is solved!· Again, my many thanks!