Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
115.2 serout and serin ? — Parallax Forums

115.2 serout and serin ?

mafolmafol Posts: 2
edited 2007-01-21 04:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Parallax people and Support !

Someone has used a Basic stamp like bs2p or other with serout and serin commands to 115.200 baud rate ?

I must control a board that require this baud rate speed and other:
· baudrate··· ·········· 115200bps
·· databit···· ·············· 8 bit
·· stopbit··· ················ 1 bit
·· parity····· ················ non
·· flowcontrol ············ non

i want develop a new SMT board with a MAX RS232 on, and conncect ·this·to PO as RX and P1 as TX,·but I'am not sure if the Bs2p (or other type module) work fine to this speed, i have much doubts....mmmmm

The my external board has :
Max 232
RX
TX
GND

Lenght cable about 20 Cm from Basic Stamp and my board

Someone can give me assurance that with a basic stamp (Bs2p or other)·I can run to 115.200 baud rate ?

Thank to all from Italy for your replies
Marco

·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-21 01:51
    Marco,
    You cannot use a Stamp for anything above 9600bps and some of the slower Stamps may not work reliably at that speed, particularly for input. The Propeller will work at that speed and the existing "FullDuplexSerial" object does work at 115.2Kbps. The Propeller itself should be able to handle well in excess of 1Mbps serial, but you'd have to write your own assembly routines to do so and probably use two cogs, one for transmit and one for receive. I don't know for certain how the SX does at that speed, but it should do OK as long as you're not trying to do much with the data.
    Mike
  • mafolmafol Posts: 2
    edited 2007-01-21 02:42
    Hi Mike;

thank for the replies, but for me is not simple becasue·i dont know the Propeller Assembly language.

Strange on Basic Stamp manual page 416 on serout section, is write :

608 to 115.2K for Bs2P without Flow control !

I see that is a limit, but the important is have assurance that to 115.2 work.

Or work or not work, if not work is better that Parallax made some corrections.
    Thank in any case Mike.

Marco

·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-21 04:58
    The Stamps can handle higher Baud for output than for input. Even so, the actual data throughput is much lower and there's very limited storage for data on the Stamps.