Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What makes a basic stamp? — Parallax Forums

What makes a basic stamp?

digilinkdigilink Posts: 3
edited 2007-01-20 22:59 in BASIC Stamp
I'm getting started into the fascinating world of microcontrollers and I ordered a basic stamp II OEM kit. I notice the heart of this kit is a Microchip PIC16C57C PIC. This is an altogether different product(at least I think?) and I'm curious to know what makes it into a basic stamp, is there some custom code that is loaded to these to interpret the basic language and that effectively makes them a basic stamp with associated components?

If that is the case, is it possible to burn your own chips with the pbasic code?

Sorry if so vague, but I am a little confused by how these work, if there is reference material available please feel free to point it out to me!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-20 22:55
    There is custom firmware that comes pre-programmed in the chip that makes them into a Stamp.

It is not possible to burn your own chips. The custom firmware is proprietary to Parallax.
  • digilinkdigilink Posts: 3
    edited 2007-01-20 22:59
    Mike Green said...
    There is custom firmware that comes pre-programmed in the chip that makes them into a Stamp.

It is not possible to burn your own chips. The custom firmware is proprietary to Parallax.

Thanks for clearing that up, that is what I thought but wasn't sure! I do see that they offer pre-flashed chips though as I would like to maybe design my own circuit board someday........