we have the SX Chips.
SX18<== DIP&SOIC
SX20<==SSOP
SX28<==SDIP,SOIC&SSOP
SX48<==TQFP
SX52<==PQFP

SX18 &SX28 is nice to fit in a bread board. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
Now we got a "NEW" package of SX Chip "TQFP"
If we can get the SX48 in DIP48 Package is very convenient for us if we have this kind of·package. :P

I know·the SX48's Die can put in a DIP48 0.6 Outline is very easy, why you guys(Parallax) dont do that?
If the·people like me want to upgrade the SX28 To SX48 is very difficult without a SMT "Cooker" :P

If SX48 Have·A New Package·As·DIP48·From Parallax Is Very Good.

Thanks

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-01-20 21:17
    I think a lot of this has to do with the market economics of the SX chip. One reason that Parallax is able to keep the prices low is that the design is basically locked in. For them to move the core to a new package, it would require the complete process of design, manufacture, and certification, and that costs money.

However, Parallax is a business, and if you were to order 50,000,000 of a new package, I'm sure they would sit down at the negotiating table with you!

For the hobbyist, I think the best way to get moving with the SX48 is to use the SX48 protoboard. They're dirt cheap for what you get.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2007-01-20 21:51
    Hello Huanfai,

Putting an SX chip in any type of new package is quite expensive, especially for a low-volume DIP package. The cost aspect relates to qualification, one-time NRE, a visit to a packaging supplier to talk them into the idea, and sometimes even some tooling. In fact, it's very difficult to find a packaging company who is interested in DIP packaging business. They know it's low-volume, and volume is all that matters to a packaging company.

However, we've attempted to provide you with a better solution than a DIP48. That would be our SX48 Proto Board. You get the SX48 in a small package, mounted on a prototype PCB for just around ten bucks!

Now, like Kevin says, if you want a million DIPs we can probably get you an SX48AC/DP part.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • dkemppaidkemppai Posts: 315
    edited 2007-01-22 00:20
    How about a 48 con carne board...

I have a 52, and really like it. I wish there were a 48, since that
    is the SMT package I have to use later.

If those were $10 each then you'd have something there...

-Dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"A saint-like quantity of patience is a help, if this is unavailable, a salty vocabulary works nearly as well." - A. S. Weaver
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-01-22 02:38
    I think Dan is on to something...

How about SX28 & SX48 con carnes?

Maybe even a limited run if you (Parallax) can get a package deal of some sort with a BoE order or something like that.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2007-01-22 02:48
    Hey guys,

We used to offer the SX52 con carne and it didn't sell well. Perhaps an SX48 con carne would sell better, but our experience shows it's really noth worthwhile. When everything needs to be ten bucks it's really difficult to justify design time and manufacturing costs. I wish I could offer this to you, but it would only be at the expense of other planned products that Parallax needs to continue grow as a company.

SX28 con carne? How about the SX28AC/DP?

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.