Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Digital and Analog Servos — Parallax Forums

Digital and Analog Servos

latigerlillylatigerlilly Posts: 114
edited 2007-01-19 20:44 in BASIC Stamp
I think from the documentation that the Parallax Servo Controller can control both digital and analog servos, but I'm not sure. Please confirm this (or say I'm wrong). Thanks!

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-01-19 18:24
    "Assuming" you mean the servos "traditionally" used for Radio Control, yes, both the digital and analog servos will work just fine. To make it easy, if the servo can be connected to a "standard" Radio Control receiver, it can work with the PSC.

These servos all use a "pulse" that varries between 1 and 2 ms to control the position of the servo. This pulse is repeated every 20 ms.

The difference between these "digital" and "analog" servos are the internal methods used to sense and control position.

Some of the newer items (Robotis Servos for example) use a totally different method of communication and control.· These will decidely not work with the PSC (or a Radio Control Receiver).

There are several threads on the internal differences between digital and analog servos if you would like to learn more.·· Use the "google" version of the parallax search (http://search.parallax.com)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10

Post Edited (John R.) : 1/19/2007 6:29:08 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-01-19 19:18
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! How many times do we have to answer this same question?

Edit: Sorry, 'lily', I thought you were somebody else who keeps asking this question.·

The only difference between "Digital" and "Analog" servo's is internal to the servo.· "Digitals" tend to internally 'refresh' themselves much more often, and use somewhat more current, than the classic "Analog" servo.· Otherwise, they use EXACTLY the same interface signal, which is that·described in the previous post.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 1/19/2007 7:23:26 PM GMT
  • BOBNAPATORBOBNAPATOR Posts: 6
    edited 2007-01-19 20:44
    roll.gif

Hello,

I think that difference between analog and digital servos, is not in sensing or interfacing issue. In fact the digital ones can optimize displacement.
    They accelerate and decelarate regarding the position from where they are registered and to where they are going.

As they are more efficient in speed , they also are more greedy.

I hope this will help.

Regards.

Bob