Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sharing of modified code — Parallax Forums

Sharing of modified code

lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
edited 2007-01-19 04:11 in Propeller 1
I assume this is a question for Andre'. I have ordered the book and the new proto board. (waiting is a real pain) I will be modifying the code as needed for such things as using a PS2 controller, possibly higher resolution video (5-bit R2R ladder), and adding an expansion card to the proto board. What is the policy for posting and sharing these types of modifications? Obviously, most of the base code that I will be modifying is from the book's CD and does not seem to be currently available on the web.

I know I am not the only one interested in doing HYDRA on "lower cost" hardware with various enhancements and it is meant as a "learning/hacking" environment.

Thanks again Andre' for helping us follow in your footsteps,
Len

Comments

• Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2007-01-19 02:22
    Len,
    ·From what I have heard about the hydra code is that·Andrea owns it , you are not suppose to post it (it's how he recopes his cost for making it) . I can tell you from looking at the code that·he made it so that you have to change clock setting's·and I believe·there is some keyboard & mouse conficts to make it work on differnt boards

Brian·
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-01-19 03:09
    The basic idea is that the code, demos, games in·their complete form especially the games are part of the hydra software and copyrighted. So by all means its ok to pull pieces, use the techniques in the books, grab chunks of things, etc. But, what I don't want is one of the games with 3 colors changed and posted. Whatever you make should be original more or less. I had trouble with people take games from my books years ago, changing two things then selling the games!! Not that any of this stuff is commercially sellable, but the point is that if they are free then that de-values the book.

So just learn from the book, the demos, make your own stuff and post it. Basically, all the demos etc. took 15 months to develop, I want to keep them with the hydra product itself for the time being and not freely distributed yet, otherwise why get the book! Now, if you make something really cool as a modification to a demo, then send it to me personally, and I will include it on the CD in the next burn wth your permission.

Andre'
    ·
  • lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
    edited 2007-01-19 03:54
    Thanks Andre'. That makes a lot of sense. Lets see how well I do. My first attempt will be to replace the controller object with one for the PS2 controller. I want it to be compatible with yours for easy integration but include access to the additional buttons and joysticks. This should be a lot of fun. You may use/publish anything that I get working

Len
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-01-19 04:11
    Get a NES light gun, make a shooting game with the hydra, that would be cool as well!

Andre'

p.s. Someone probably makes a dance dance fever type mat that is NES compatible, that would be cool to plug into the NES game port as well and make a demo for.