Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rosy question — Parallax Forums

Rosy question

jcfergusonjcferguson Posts: 86
edited 2007-01-17 22:11 in BASIC Stamp
I am considering buying the PINK module in order to connect my project to the internet...

I have a little robot that runs on an rf link between two basic stamps - one is a controller and interprets my joysticks, the other is the receiver and controls the servos on the robot.

Do I understand this correctly?

1 The pink acts as a web server that is accessible from the internet and connects to a basic stamp. Variables can be changed on the web page and sent to the stamp, or sent from the stamp to the webpage.

2 Users could go to the webpage, change variables, and I could then have my controller respond to those changes instead of my joyticks?

3 What does the PINK do that wouldn't be accomplished by setting up a web server on my computer and connecting a stamp directly?

4 Is this possible with a mac (I use macbs2) or do I need a pc?

Thanks for any help!!

Carlos Ferguson

Comments

• Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-01-17 04:10
    Jcferguson,
    Answers as i know them to be, (i have 60 of these)
    1.Yes
    2.yes
    3.much simpler
    4. it is a server that talks in HTML so it can talk to anything that can talk it language.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • jcfergusonjcferguson Posts: 86
    edited 2007-01-17 04:27
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply - as far as using a mac goes - I don't have to program the pink using a pc? It's just a matter of setting up my mac to interface with it?

Thanks again,

Carlos
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2007-01-17 21:10
    There sholud be no problem to connect it to your Mac if you have a DHCP network. Plug the PINK into your router using the blue cable. Your router will assign it an IP address, and there should be a table in the router status utility that tells you the IP addresses it has assigned to PINK. That will have the form something like 192.168.0.1xx. Then you can use that address from any browser to get to,
    XX.XX.XX.XX/nb_factory.htm
    and to the other setup and data pages. A word to the wise--if you assign passwords, don't forget them!

I think you would only need to use he PC utility if you need to assign PINK an IP address for non-DHCP service.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • jcfergusonjcferguson Posts: 86
    edited 2007-01-17 22:11
    Great, thanks.

I am probably getting ahead of myself, but is it possible to then use a regular website name instead of the ip address?

Carlos