Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ASCII code — Parallax Forums

ASCII code

snarpssnarps Posts: 2
edited 2007-01-17 02:18 in Propeller 1
I'm just a newbe with my propeller chip. Before I get too involved I want to know if it is possible to read ASCII code with it, like my old Basic Stamp does. If anyone·knows (if it is possible)·or can tell me where I can get·some information on the subject I would appreciate it. I didn't see anything about it in the manual that came with the chip.·························· Bill S. in Wisconsin

Comments

• asterickasterick Posts: 158
    edited 2007-01-17 01:49
    you mean, like human readable code, and run it?
  • snarpssnarps Posts: 2
    edited 2007-01-17 02:05
    I mean, can a propeller be programmed to read letters and numbers in ASCII code that comes to it over a wire to one of it's ports, and store the information.············ · What I would like to·do is,· I want to make it read information from a GPS·so the propeller chip will know where it is, like the latitude and longetude.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-17 02:18
    snarps,
    Yes, there are several different serial "drivers" in the Propeller Object Exchange. Some are simple, half-duplex routines in SPIN that work somewhat like the Stamp statements. One, the FullDuplexSerial driver, provides a high-speed full duplex buffered serial channel. I think there already is a GPS routine in the Object Exchange. Check it out (ww1.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65).
    Mike