Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Will this servo work with the Parallax USP Servo Controller? For my quadraplegi — Parallax Forums

Will this servo work with the Parallax USP Servo Controller? For my quadraplegi

latigerlillylatigerlilly Posts: 114
edited 2007-01-16 20:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

This is the Parallax USB Servo Controller:
www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28823

Will the Seiko PS-50 servo be compatible with the servo controller?
www.troybuiltmodels.com/Servos.htm

The controller's documentation only says to use the correct power supply for the servos. It doesn't say what the power limits of the controller is.

Also, it seems from the documentation that the servo controller can only play out a canned sequence of servo movements. It cannot play out different sequences of servo movements per commands from the Board of Education's Stamp 2. Is this true? If not, how do I control the servo controller with the Board of Education's Stamp 2? If this is true, please tell me how to control dozens of servos with the Stamp 2 on a Board of Education.

Thanks,
Lilly.

Comments

• KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2007-01-16 19:16
    latigerlilly,

The PSC does not provide the power for the servos, that is done via a second source. See the psc documentation for·some diagrams.· http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/motors/ServoControllerManualRevBv2_4.pdf

In most cases the power for the psc itself·is supplied by the board you are using, in your case a BOE. The power source for the servos is usually a rechargable pack with enough juice to run whatever servos you are using.

The PSC does not store any sequences or comands to control servos, it simply handles the movement. All the positional information comes from your basic stamp.

Hope this helps a bit!

PS, yes those servos should work fine with your psc.

Post Edited (KB3JJG) : 1/16/2007 7:25:05 PM GMT
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-01-16 20:09
    As an added note, the sequencing you saw in the docs is done via the PC based application that can connect with the PSC via the USB port.

The PC application lets you build sequences, and then "play them back". It basically takes the place of the STAMP sending the instructions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10