Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Will this motor work with the HB-25 controller? Please help my wheelchair bound — Parallax Forums

Will this motor work with the HB-25 controller? Please help my wheelchair bound

latigerlillylatigerlilly Posts: 114
edited 2007-01-16 16:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hi guys,

The HB-25 motor controller says that it can control up to a 0.5 HP motor at 6 to 16 volts DC:
www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=29150

I found such a motor:
robotcombat.com/marketplace_leeson.html

However, this motor has a stall current of 120 amps while the HB-25 motor controller has a 35 amp surge load current capacity. Is this O.K.? Or will this motor possibly overload the HB-25 controller? I would like to install 2 of these motors on a wheelchair. If this is not O.K., please suggest a motor that will work.

Thanks,
Lilly.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-16 15:52
    Lilly,

I would check to see what actual Wheel Chair motors run for voltage/current. They may be more inline with the HB-25 current capability. Remember, even with a motor that is within specification you can exceed that by reversing the motor suddenly without ramping. For example, take a motor with a 25A stall current. If you run it full speed in one direction under load and then suddenly jump to full reverse the surge current will be quite a bit. These are the kind of things you need to be careful of even when your motors are in spec. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-01-16 16:12
    Folks -

Here are a few surplus wheelchair motors:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2007011610100225&catname=&byKeyword=yes&search=wheelchair motor

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->