Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Thru Hole Pins? — Parallax Forums

Thru Hole Pins?

SailerManSailerMan Posts: 337
edited 2007-01-16 19:57 in General Discussion
There was a thread I read where someone mentions little pins or collars or what ever they are called that can be placed in a Home Made PCB to create a thru-hole.

Does anyone remember this thread or know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Eric
·

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2007-01-15 04:07
    Hi Sailerman, possibly what you are looking for is wire wrap pins or socket pins a search on Google will bring up a bunch.

Jeff T.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-01-15 04:27
    They're called eyelet's - Google PCB eyelet for sources
  • SailerManSailerMan Posts: 337
    edited 2007-01-15 15:29
    Thanks.... Forrest... That's what I'm looking for... I did google it, and they are really hard to buy online, I didn't find a place. I sent for a catalog.

Thanks again,
    Eric
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-01-16 01:34
    You will have to buy the swaging tool (die) to go with the particular eyelet.· You have to get the right eyelets for your board thickness.·

Maybe better to just solder a "jumper" pin between the traces on the two sides?· Or, to make it fancy: the legendary 0-ohm "resistor"?

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 1/16/2007 1:49:15 AM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-01-16 11:08
    I used eyelets and a table-mounted press once...

Great results, but...

Bl**dy fiddly job!

After that I swore to only use component-legs for through-hole, and to avoid double-sided PCBs when they're not necessary.
    Saves a lot of swearing...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-01-16 13:26
    Gadgetman -

Just out of curiosity, and since I've never fooled with eyelets, is the difficulty that they're two piece units which must be lined up, or is the difficukty in the one-sided swaging process? I suppose it might be that they are simply tubuler with expanded ends, and may need to be swaged on both side which would be a major pain!

Thanks for the insight without the hair pulling smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-01-16 14:07
    The ones I used were 'one-piece', with one expanded end.
    You pushed the other end through the hole in the PCB, placed the pcb and eyelet on the die and pulled down on a handle. This brought the other part of the die down and expanded the other end.

It worked, but it was time-consuming and fiddly.
    And if you didn't push hard enough, you might end up with a weak connection that might deteriorate over the years...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-01-16 19:57
    And if you swage too hard, you can crach the board. (Said the guy with the gorilla arms and lack of finesse to match.)

I would think that there would be a setup that could control this better, but the cost of such a press might make farming the boards out seem cheap.

If you only have a few vias, it's not bad, but then neither is using component pins and/or the 0 Ohm via resistor (wire) and soldering both sides.

If you have lots of vias, it can make for a long afternoon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10