Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Re: Serial connection problem with Board of Edu Rev C Board BS2 stamp (Boe Bot) — Parallax Forums

Re: Serial connection problem with Board of Edu Rev C Board BS2 stamp (Boe Bot)

stewjwstewjw Posts: 2
edited 2007-01-14 19:08 in BASIC Stamp
I can't find an answer to this on the parallax web site.
I have a USB to Serial conversion cable. Device driver in Windows XP SP2·shows connection working as COM4.
When I try to ID the board from the BASIC STAMP Editor (Vers 2.5) I receive Loopback No Echo Yes but the board is not recognised.
Do I need to change the serial settings?
Anyhelp would be appreciated, as I'm stuck at the moment.

If this doesn't work I may have to splash out on the bluetooth option. Unfortunately I'd also have to get a bluetooth receiver.

Post Edited (stewjw) : 1/14/2007 12:54:13 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-14 16:47
    Not all USB to serial converters will work with the Stamp (or Propeller). Both use the DTR line to force a reset for programming and some USB to serial converters don't supply this or it doesn't behave properly. Parallax's adapters work, Keyspan's high speed serial adapter works. Some people have had to change the serial latency setting ... do a search of the forums for this.
  • GPDC1GPDC1 Posts: 3
    edited 2007-01-14 16:49
    I think that just yesterday. after way too much bs'ing around, I got this problem fixed for myself, so here goes: your serial cable conversion uses either (maybe more) of (2) chipsets....the BS needs the TFDI chipset & that is embeded in (no doubt) Parallaxs' adapter (used with their mini cable) #800-00030.....the Radio Shack adapter/cable assembly also seems to work....check out Mike & Forrests' posts to me yesterday....the Bluetooth,...I dunno....
  • stewjwstewjw Posts: 2
    edited 2007-01-14 18:39
    Thanks for your help, I feared it maybe a chipset issue. So much for standards, it looks like I'm going to have to part with more cash on another adapter. Bluetooth attracted me since you can control the Boe Bot remotely with more sophisticated programs, but it also looks like the more expensive·choice.·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-14 18:47
    Have a look at xBee. Martin Hebel sells some adapters for the BOE-BOT that work well (www.selmaware.com/). There's a USB adapter for the PC end and you get a seamless wireless serial connection. You can't program wirelessly for a number of reasons, but debugging and control is really easy. I've got the PC end and the AppMod adapter that I use with my BOE-BOT.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-01-14 19:08
    Thanks Mike, at school I've had some students working on a StampPlot interface + XBee's + Boe-Bots to monitor/control multiple bots at once. It's looking pretty slick, but the winter break slowed down progress on it. We'll try to get it done within a few weeks as an example.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·