Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
connectivity...homework board to usb — Parallax Forums

connectivity...homework board to usb

GPDC1GPDC1 Posts: 3
edited 2007-01-13 15:30 in BASIC Stamp
· Please forgive me for·inquiring about a subject that I just KNOW has been discussed here somewhere, but I can't find any info regarding my problem & I'm getting frustrated...and yes, I'm am more or less a newbie....this is the second time this week I've run into this same·"you can't do that" mess....so here goes...I've a BS HomeWork Board (Rev A)·& no serial ports on this laptop...I've been trying to lose the dreaded "No Basic Stamp detected" message for hours now & no luck....I've been·working with a Targus conversion cable/driver software and Parallaxs' (downloaded)·drivers in every possible configuration/installation order·I can think of....no luck....the closest I've gotten to communication between·the two was a yes & a yes·in the Identification window (for loopback & echo), but nothing regarding Device Type or Version.....the fact that I could get that far just kept me working harder for communication, (like a fool,methinks)...So, could someone please tell me once & for all, EXACTLY how·to do this?...can it be done with this kind of cable @ all?,...how about the Radio Shack brand serial/usb cable & software (I have that,also)·or MUST I get their BAFO & cable pieces?...which is ok, but why don't they tell me that somewhere? Thanks much for your help!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-13 06:48
    The USB-Serial adapter must handle DTR properly since the Stamp uses this signal to do a reset for the download. I don't know if Targus's adapter does this. I know that Keyspan's high speed serial adapter works well as does Parallax's adapters. I've heard mentioned that the Radio Shack adapter works. I don't have one myself, so I can't tell you for sure. If you have one, try it. Parallax's drivers are for the FTDI USB-Serial adapter chip which Parallax uses for all their adapters, built-in and external.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-01-13 12:10
    A quick Google search indicates the Targus PA088 USB to serial adapter uses a Prolific chipset, not a FTDI chipset. There's a lot of mixed comments about the Prolific chipset/drivers - I don't know if it will work with the Basic Stamp.
  • GPDC1GPDC1 Posts: 3
    edited 2007-01-13 15:30
    Ok!....I GOT IT!!!....yippee!...Mike, the RS cable w/updated driver was the ticket, Forrest, thanks for the advice....this laptop has NEVER communicated with my BS until now, now I can't wait to get to work & try this cableing setup with the PLC I had trouble with this past week (I ended up ordering their adapter stuff from Germany...probably a (2) week delay!)...now that I'm aware that there are (at least) 2 different chipsets for this....I'm still not cancelling my order to Parallax, though, I just want their stuff in my arsenal...Thanks much!
    George P.