Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Control BS via Ethernet — Parallax Forums

Control BS via Ethernet

dakota77dakota77 Posts: 23
edited 2007-01-13 13:50 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

My notebook is connected·to·a Basic Stamp which is connected to a Parallax Servo Controller.
I control 4 servos. Everything is ok.

I would like to place the BS and PSC 30 meters away from my computer.

Is there a way to send data to the Basic Stamp through a network ?

Thanks for your help.
Mario

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-01-12 22:25
    No Ethernet is needed if you have one of these, 100' of CAT5 cable, and (if needed) a USB-to-serial adapter. I have one, and it works great!

-Phil
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-01-12 23:09
    The USB adapters Phil mentions are neat and a great option. Using a PINK or other similar device is another option.

WiPORT, Zigbee and others also provide "wireless" solutions.

Phil: Do those devices work through switches, etc, or do they require a "straight shot" of just cable?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-01-12 23:24
    John,

It requires a straight shot. Although it uses standard Cat5 cable and connectors, it's not compatible with Ethernet switches and routers.

One really nice feature, though, is that each end has a DC-DC converter to boost and then re-regulate the USB's 5V supply to make up for any cable losses. I get a more stable supply with this thing and 100 feet of cable than I do with just a 6-foot USB cable. This makes it possible to power one's remote device without having a separate power supply at the other end — assuming it's a device that normally runs from USB power. An Ethernet device — unless you have a power-over-Ethernet installation — will require a separate supply.

-Phil
    edited 2007-01-13 00:18
    Phil;

Thanks for the info. I'm working a few things (hobby) that might be able to take advantage of the USB stuff.

There are trade offs both ways. Being able to work throught switchtes, routers, etc. has some definite plusses, but also some significant overhead.

The straight USB also opens up some lower cost solutions for multiple divices. I've seen these with a USB hub on the far end, which means that for tethered robotics, you not only could talk with the STAMP/SX/Propeller, but also stuff like Web cams, microphones, speakers, etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • dakota77dakota77 Posts: 23
    edited 2007-01-13 07:54
    Hello, thanks for your comments.

With BS et PSC I control several·pan and tilt camera and other devices.

My idea was to connect the Basic Stamp and PSC on an ethernet router :

so I can place the camera and BS·everywhere in my home where there is a network connection.

It seems it's not so easy. In fact I have to convert serial to ethernet and back.

Thanks for your help.

Mario
    edited 2007-01-13 13:50
    If you really want the ethernet connectivity, I'd look at the PINK module. You should be able to set up some variables on the PINK that can be read and written to by the stamps, and set from the network by either web forms, udp calls or other methods. I've got my PINK tucked away, but this type of application is one of the things PINK was made for.

There are other devices (XPort at www.gridconnect.com/ltrx.html for one) that will take care of the serial/ethernet conversion. On the PC side, you access the serial stream via Telnet to a specific port on the XPort. XPort is made by Lantronix. There are other devices that work similarly.

Here is a thread in the propeller forum that talks about other options: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=597625

Keep in mind that with PINK, you get the support of Parallax smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10