Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Use BASIC Stamp I without serial adapter — Parallax Forums

Use BASIC Stamp I without serial adapter

WadeWade Posts: 1
edited 2007-01-16 02:41 in BASIC Stamp
Hey all,

I recently ordered a BASIC Stamp I module but made the mistake of not getting the serial adapter at the same time (I read a website about how to interface it with a parallel port but I have now learned that that doesn't work anymore). Now I have my module without any means of programming it. Does anyone have any hacks (different software that uses the parallel port, easy interface I can build, etc) to program the chip without the serial adapter while my new order is on the way? I found the image below that demonstrates how to do it using a BS2 chip but I have the BS1. Thanks!

bs2connection.gif

Wade

Post Edited (Wade) : 1/12/2007 8:55:45 PM GMT

Comments

• sparkspark Posts: 3
    edited 2007-01-12 22:33
    I have the same problem bought the basic stamp not knowing that I needed that adapter. so went to Radio Shack and they sold me a

cable with the 9 pin sub D connector to usb serial port connector. Have not yet try it.. Part No is 26-183 my question is it wre the same way?

And what effect with the inductor have on the basic stamp?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-12 23:13
    Hello,

The connection diagram for the BS1 to a Serial Port on a PC is located at the following link. The circuitry shown on this page is what the BS1 Serial Adapter is made of. I hope this helps. Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_Stamp1_Windows.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-01-15 05:56
    Can you use that radio shack cable in place of the usb to serial adapter?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-15 06:16
    The link that Chris posted does not seem to have a connection diagram for the BS1 to Serial Port adapter (or a link to one). Once you have that adapter or something similar, including a USB to serial adapter, you should be in business. Some people have used the Radio Shack adapter successfully. I've had success with Keyspan's high speed USB to serial adapter and with Parallax's adapters.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-15 16:49
    Hello,

The link I posted shows the schematic for the BS1 Serial Adapter right on the page. You have to scroll down a bit to see it, but I just double-checked the link and it is there. It is the BS1 equivalent of the BS2 diagram you posted. You could use a USB to Serial adapter (if compatible) with that circuit to talk to a BS1. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-01-16 02:41
    Okay, will give that a try. Let you know how it work! Thanks