Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What should I do next? — Parallax Forums

What should I do next?

bgthreebgthree Posts: 14
edited 2007-01-12 17:23 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm about to finish the "What's a Microcontroller" book and really enjoyed it and want to continue learning about this stuff. What should I do next?

I'm interested in learning about signals, but the "Understanding Signals" book and kit is backordered. Can I skip directly to "Basic Analog to Digital" or would this be a bad idea since my only experience in this field comes from the WAM book?

Or would a different book/kit be a better next step for me?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2007-01-11 21:28
    Parallax does a nice job of helping us through this question (which we have all asked (if even just to ourselves) here: http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/edu/curriculum/flow.asp
  • bgthreebgthree Posts: 14
    edited 2007-01-11 21:46
    Thanks,

I had already seen the flow chart, but I was unclear whether "Understanding Signals" is a necessary prerequisite to "Basic Analog and Digital." They are connected BOTH by solid lines and dotted lines -- is "US" a necessary prerequisite to "BAAD" or not?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-11 22:06
    Hello,

While it helps to follow the path shown in the chart, it is not required. Still, nobody knows how well they will understand something better than yourself, so to that end you can always check out the book by downloading the PDF version free from the product page and decide by browsing through the material. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-01-12 04:58
    Most of the manuals are available for download so you could look over the documentation first to see if it is what you want to do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2007-01-12 15:03
    "I'm interested in learning about signals, but the "Understanding Signals" book and kit is backordered. "

Since you are interested in learning signals then download the free PDF from Parallax and start reading.

Don't worry about a back log of books, you can start reading and do some of the early stuff with the compents that came with the WAM kit.

Follow your interests and you will do better in learning and have more fun.
  • edited 2007-01-12 17:23
    You can find other places that carry the Understanding Signals kit by using Google. I tried the search terms: Parallax Understanding Signals Kit. Also, below are some of the hits I found that are outfits I personally buy from on a regular basis. I found them by appending the retailer name at the end, like: Parallax Understanding Signals Kit Digikey.

Robotstore.com: http://www.robotstore.com/store/product.asp?pid=1061&catid=11
    Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=28119virtualkey61900000virtualkey619-28119
    Digi-Key: Use 28119-ND in their search field.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.