Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Do we need a PropellerForge? — Parallax Forums

Do we need a PropellerForge?

lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
edited 2007-01-11 18:23 in Propeller 1
I am new to this forum and don't even have a propeller yet (waiting for new proto board) but the excitement within this forum is contagious and I think I am catching the bug. As a newbe I find it is very hard to locate all of the objects, tools, applications, projects, and best practices that are streaking by each day on this forum. In the last day or so I found: Just to name a few and embedded in these threads are discussions about best practices and coding standards. In the future I hope to start a project on Propeller Robotics using intelligent servos like the Robotis Dynamixel or the openservo unit that I hope will also develop into an active sub community. The Object Library is a good start for simple objects but I think this group needs a better way to collaborate and manage the various efforts. Especially since they seem to layer one on top of another (that is what makes the propeller unique; right)

In one of the threads Parallax mentioned that they will be updating the website within a few months. Would it make sense to create a PropellerForge type repository where we can manage the various efforts? If that is not practical, should we consider setting up a Propeller Web Ring to link all of the various personal web pages like the HSS page http://www.andrewarsenault.com/hss/ or a Wiki with links and best practices?

I don't want to distract you from all of the brainstorming going on, I just think you are outgrowing this single forum and object repository design

Comments

• Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2007-01-11 15:46
    Exist "Propeller Object Exchange"
    http://ww1.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-01-11 16:23
    Not bad ideas. If there was some interest for something like this, I'd be glad to help out and/or donate webspace on the same web site as I'm using for my upcoming experimenter board "SpinStudio"

However I remember in the recent past someone started a Yahoo group and a corresponding personal website for the discussion of the Propeller Microcontroller. There was very little discussion on the group and both the group and the website disappeared. I wouldn't want that to happen again.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-01-11 16:23
    I like the idea of the Web-ring and Wiki!
    Having something like that wouldn't be a bad idea.
    and yes... The excitement is contagious!

--Andrew Arsenault.
    smile.gif
  • nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2007-01-11 17:03
    Have a look at this (super) thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=609066·, should be in a sticky. Yes, this chip is exiting, the first product·in a long, long·time·that has lowered·the complexity of programming complex tasks.

Nico Hattink
  • lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
    edited 2007-01-11 17:41
    Luis Digital: I meant the Object Exchange when I was talking about the object library. That is great for an object created by a single person that can be described in a sentence or two. But it is not very good for the current discussion on Large Memory Models where they have a "core team" or something more complex like the HSS.

Nutson: Wow, I think I saw that title once before but I did not read it. Yes, that is a great resource that should be a sticky and more of what I was thinking about. I like that fact that much of the collaboration is on the public forum where we can all learn from it but I think we loose things once they are 3-4 pages back in the forum.

Maybe a Wiki would be the best solution - It could have links to related forum threads and objects in the exchange. I would want it hosted by Parallax to keep it closely related to these forums and documentation.

Any other thoughts?
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-01-11 17:48
    I'd like to see a bunch of wikis - Stamps, SX, Propeller, etc. Along with the wikis, some FAQs would be good. There are certain questions that seem to get asked frequently, and having a central location for answering them would be great.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-01-11 18:23
    nutson said...
    Yes, this chip is exiting, the first product in a long, long time that has lowered the complexity of programming complex tasks.

What makes it even more exciting, is that even though it's easier to do those complex tasks, it's so much more powerful than other Microcontroller out there. Newer versions of the Propeller that are in the works now promise to be more powerful still! The things this can do with minimal external hardware is amazing.

I think once it starts gaining acceptance, you'll see more and more people using it, and more and more learning and reference material will be available.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe