Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trying to shoot a ping pong ball.. — Parallax Forums

Trying to shoot a ping pong ball..

ScootScoot Posts: 1
edited 2007-01-11 14:48 in BASIC Stamp
Im trying to launch a ping pong ball from a robot for my sophomore engineering class.· I want to strike the ball, much like a golf ball return mechanism in a putting cup works. My question is, is that a solenoid motor, and if not, what is it.· Thanks

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-01-10 19:50
    Scoot -

It may well be a solenoid, but I'm not familiar with the term "solenoid motor". I am familiar with a rotary solenoid, but that seems unnecessary in this application.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2007-01-10 19:53
    Hi Scoot, I'v never tried it but with a certain amount of modification I would think using a solenoid to actuate the rod on a small pneumatic piston valve and·using the expelled air to blow·the ping pong ball down a tube would give better results than striking it with a solenoid, I think it may tend to penetrate the ball it's something you would have to try.

Jeff T.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-01-10 20:31
    Having done something like this with Mindstorms, the key is using some 'energy storage' element (like a rubber band) on a lever. Then, you 'pull down' the lever with a cam on a servo. When the cam slips off the end of the lever, the rubber band 'snaps' the lever back into contact with the ping-pong ball, shooting it into the air.

The servo is then moved back into the 'load' position for the next shot.

Anothe solution is to use a solenoid -- a piece of steel with springs inside a coil. When you energize the coil, the piece of steel shoots to the middle of the coil -- and the far end can contact a ping-pong ball. This can take more instantaneous current than the servo approach, however.
  • UnstableUnstable Posts: 7
    edited 2007-01-11 00:32
    I am working on something a bit similar. (exept instead of ping pong balls, airsoft ammo)

my design is going to have a large capacitor charge up, then to launch discharge through a SCR (silicon control rectifier) into the solinoid.

the circuity is fairly simple and I tested a NTE5463 driven directly off a stamp2 and it seems to work (haven't tested with a solinoid yet as I have to build it)

I also tested it with a opto-isolator setup, (a set of radioshack IR led and phototransistor) to prevent the stamp getting surged from the high power discharge.

if you want I can draw up a simple schematic.

--Unstable
  • Mr. RichardMr. Richard Posts: 51
    edited 2007-01-11 03:12
    a different option is to have a pneumatics system. I currently have a robot I drive around my classroom. I have a feeder mechanism that holds Starburst candies. There is a servo that places a candy in a cup at the end of an arm. There is a solenoid that controls a piston with about a 2 inch throw, this shoots the arm sending the candy flying to the lap of unsuspecting high school kids. (about ten feet away) The parts I use are from SMC corporation. There is a small air tank that is filled with a bicycle pump, 4mm airline tubing, a switch, regulator, solenoid and piston. soon you can read about it in the completer projects area.

If interested, I can get you catalog numbers while at school

have a fun day
    Josh
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2007-01-11 14:48
    ..or if you really want to go with the "golf-ball-like" idea, how about a motor with an arm that strikes the ball. Ping-pong balls are light and don't need a lot of impact force to launch...one rotation with an arm with a decent mass should move it quite well...I could see it done with a hobby 3V motor and a switch or encoder to let you know when the shaft has made a full loop...control it with a transistor...

Just noodlin'

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...