Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp talking to transmitter via trainer port — Parallax Forums

Stamp talking to transmitter via trainer port

gonweigonwei Posts: 14
edited 2007-01-10 13:49 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

Does anyone has experience in using Stamp module to generate pulse and send·the signal·via a Futaba transmitter thru trainer port connection? The trainer port is·of a·DIN 6-pin configuration. How should the stamp and trainer port be connected? All ideas are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!! smilewinkgrin.gif

kevin

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2007-01-10 12:52
    The idea of the trainer port is to have a "co-pilot" standing by in case the "pilot-in-training" gets into trouble.

I don't have the Futaba docs ( which is what you need to Google first) in front of me but I expect its one of two possibilities:

1. the DIN plug will accept standard servo pulses ( 1mSec - 2mSec) which the stamp can replicate quite well.

or

2. the DIN plug takes resistive pot signals from a set of auxilary joysticks.

Keep us informed of your progress. This will probably be of interest to several folks here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-01-10 13:49
    Having reviewed the Futaba documentation on-line, it looks like the 'trainer' port is intended to get a pulse-train signal. The pulse train has incorporated into it a 1 mSec 'sync', then pulses indicating the positions of the servo on each 'channel'. A Futaba controller having 4, 6, 8, or more channels -- each channel indicating control of a servo.

I'm not certain what voltage levels this port uses, or expects, so that could be a problem. The easiest way to discover this would be to put a logic analyzer on the data pin, and record what's going on in real use.

I'm not sure what this would achieve. I mean, you'll have an "open loop" control (no feedback) of whatever your target (airplane, car, whatever) is. I believe the 'trainer port' does get the generated pulse train BEFORE it's RF-encoded, so that may make this do-able.