Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need help with keypad — Parallax Forums

need help with keypad

............ Posts: 9
edited 2007-01-09 23:01 in BASIC Stamp
i have a keypad and a memkey and i need to know how to connect them to my BS2P Demo Board. is there a cable that does that, or some kind of way to plug them in? any help is great

Comments

• ............ Posts: 9
    edited 2007-01-09 03:50
    anyone know anything about conneting a keypad and memkey to a BS2P Demo Board, i need this done in a few days
    help would be nice
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-09 05:29
    You asked for help on this yesterday. Did you look at the documentation for the keypad and the memkey? It's pretty complete. If there's something specific that you don't understand about what's in the documentation, feel free to ask, but you'll have to start there.
    edited 2007-01-09 13:39
    i've looked at the datasheet but i can find any thing about how to hook it up to my board. it says where the different pegs on the memkey have to connect to but not how to do it. is there some kind of ribbon cable i need to get for it?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-09 16:02
    This is a duplicate thread, please refer to the original at the following link.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=624294

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-09 16:12
    The MemKey plugs into the breadboard socket on your BS2p demo board and you use short lengths of wire to connect it to the power and I/O pin connections around the breadboard.
    The demo board comes with some lengths of wire for this purpose with the ends already stripped to a useful length. Usually 22 gauge solid wire works well and you can cut your own lengths.

The keypad that Parallax sells could theoretically fit into the breadboard since the pins are on 0.1" centers and are the right size, but there's not room for it there. Parallax sells some 3 pin jumper cables (www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=805-00012) for use with servos and LCD displays that include a long pin header that can fit into the breadboard socket and the cable plugs onto it. You could use 3 of these to connect to the keypad (and not use one of the wires) since there are 8 pins on the keypad and each cable has 3 wires. Alternatively, you could buy the pieces from someone like Jameco, Digikey, or Mouser and make your own cable with 8 pins and whatever length you want. Parallax also sells a short 8 pin cable meant for the keypad. You could mount the MemKey at the keypad using this short 8 pin jumper and use a longer cable with 3 to 5 wires from the MemKey to the Stamp board. If you look at the MemKey documentation, it is possible to use only 3 wires to connect it to a Stamp (Ground, +5V, and a serial bidirectional signal line). That would work nicely with one of the prefabricated 3-wire cables. You'd have to short together the two (receive/transmit) lines at the MemKey. Alternatively, you could use all 5 lines from the MemKey to the Stamp and use 2 of the 3 wire cables. Lots of choices
    edited 2007-01-09 23:01
    thx alot that's what i needed
    i'll strart working on that thank you alot