Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
prop plug design in eagle — Parallax Forums

prop plug design in eagle

Vertex78Vertex78 Posts: 51
edited 2007-01-09 07:42 in Propeller 1
I designed my prop plug in eagle and I wanted you guys to take a look at it before I start etching the board. This is only the second board I have tried making with eagle so I have done something that don't look right let me know. Also on the usb connector, I bought usb mini-b connectors to use but I cannot find the footprint for it anywhere. Does anyone know where I could find either them for eagle?

Comments

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2007-01-08 19:29
    you looked at cadsoftusa.com for the part you need? Find the download page then in your browser press apple F on mac to search for keywords including "usb", maybe you will find something there. Otherwire you can create it pretty easily. Let me know if you don't find it, maybe I will have time to draw it later today.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-01-09 05:25
    For the USB module for my SpinStudio I use a USB connector in library "Con-AMP" the part is called "USB787616"

It's a female type A connector, just like your computer has. Then I use a Type A male to Type A male cable to plug it into my computer.

It's a through hole part and the jack can be purchased at most suppliers for a reasonable price, I got mine from Mouser for 92 cents. The Amp part number is 787616

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • CatweazleCatweazle Posts: 17
    edited 2007-01-09 07:42
    Hi,

I had a look at your board, but I would recommend you to re-route it, you will get some problems if you etch it.

1. the vias under the FTDI chip, there is not much space under the chip
    2. the bottom wire to C3, it's difficult to solder it at bottom and top
    3. the footprint of the FTDI is very small, keep more space between the GND and the pins (try to use a GND-plate ->polygon)

tip: try to rotate the ftdi chip 90°, i think you can get it single sided with a few vias.

USB connector libs:
    tp.cadsoft.de/eagle/userfiles/libraries/con-usb.lbr
    tp.cadsoft.de/eagle/userfiles/libraries/con-usb-2.lbr

the libraries:
    www.cadsoft.de/cgi-bin/download.pl?page=/home/cadsoft/html_public/download.htm.de&dir=eagle/userfiles/libraries

gtz
    eric