Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HELP!!! — Parallax Forums

HELP!!!

roughwireroughwire Posts: 78
edited 2007-01-10 14:01 in BASIC Stamp
Help! I need to know what the best way to make my boe-bot 'say' a couple of words.... QUICK!..... My professor told me that it has to talk before end of semester or else my grade will plumit! I need a quick and easyway for it to talk. I've though about recording my voice into·the computers·recorder, conecting it to my bot, using a remote to play back the recording through a loudspeaker connected to the board of education.
IS THERE ANOTHER WAY? PLEASE·HELP!
························································· ·hop.gif

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2007-01-08 16:52
    You can purchase an Emic from Parallax which will let you program "text to speech" and is quite easy to use. www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/audiovisual/sound.asp. It includes a small audio amplifier that you can hook right up to an 8ohm speaker (about $2 at Radio Shack) and you're ready to go.

If the cost is prohibitive, then a quick and dirty solution might be to take a cheap cassette recorder, record your voice on it, and then use a stamp pin to simply power the device on and off. Use a 30-90 sec "endless loop" answering machine cassette so it can just play over and over.... Do a search for "relay driver" in the forums for simple circuits to switch power on and off to a small recorder or the like.

There are also inexpensive sound effects/phoneme chips (<$25) but the programming and work to generate speech will take a lot more time.

Another alternative, if you are leaving the 'bot hooked up to a PC, would be to pre-record .wav files on your PC, then write a program on the PC that can decode incoming serial messages from the Stamp to play the pre-recorded files over your PC speakers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

Post Edited (Zoot) : 1/8/2007 5:00:01 PM GMT
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2007-01-08 17:00
    Does it have to speak a human language? Is it a 3DPO or an R2D2? There are some nifty R2D2 sound programs around. Or, it could "speak" morse code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-08 17:24
    Hello,

·· The sounds Tracy refers to are attached to this message. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • roughwireroughwire Posts: 78
    edited 2007-01-08 17:39
    where can I connect the loud speaker?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    MIKE
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2007-01-08 17:52
    The Basic Stamp manual has a simple circuit (unamplified) listed under FREQOUT for running an ~40ohm speaker with just a few parts. Or use a piezo without any parts.

You can also use a small audio amp to drive an 8ohm speaker with more volume (like an LM386 which can be had at Radio Shack or online for a couple of bucks).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST
  • roughwireroughwire Posts: 78
    edited 2007-01-08 18:03
    Is it possible to record my voice on my pc, and translate it into ASCII to somehow program my boebot (board of Ed.) to send it to the loudspeaker?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    MIKE
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2007-01-08 18:23
    You would be MUCH better off getting a "sound recorder chip" and using a stamp to control it.
    There are several that allow playback of multiple time slots on the chip....
    One such is made by Windond (ISD3000-4000) series......
    They use an SPI interface...

Radio Shack sold some sound recording IC's that were also easy to control using any stamp..

Bob
  • zeezee Posts: 1
    edited 2007-01-10 12:59
    hello...
    i want to know that can we use PBasic language in Boe Bot that use Basic Stamp 2?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-01-10 14:01
    Zee -

PBASIC is used on all Basic Stamp products. It is also the only language for use on those products.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->