Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My suggestion for documentation — Parallax Forums

My suggestion for documentation

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2007-08-03 09:06 in Propeller 1
The propeller manual provides the hard documentation required for the propeller.

The examples provide code you can look at, some are better commented than others.

But I hope that no one would deny that it would make a beginner's life much easier if someone was to sit down with them and run through the code, and before that the IDE.

"here's the main program, at the top we just set up the clock, we are using a 5Mhz crystal so we multiply by 16 to get 80Mhz, then we define the hub variables that are global to all the cogs. Then we define a keyboard object called kb, look you can find the object here, its called keyboard.spin and look when you press this you see the documentation. So the first thing we do it start a cog for this object ........"

You get the picture.

There are users of the propeller all over the world so although conventions and the like are cool they are only cool for a small percentage. Video is the future, it doesn't have to be live and it doesn't have to take much longer than sitting down with someone.

Check out this software:

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp?CMP=KgoogleSgen82tm

Its $40 and can do screen capture with audio, spend $250 and you get camtasia which allows you to produce flash files and also add annotation and the like.

A propeller guru sits down for an hour and decides what they are going to say and then rambles for 15min, a voila you have the missing link in the documentation, the overview, the program flow and the reduction in fear factor that so many beginners need.

I tried making one of these videos myself but I'm only just past a beginner myself and kept messing it up, so I beg of you Parallax, give it some thought. Its cost effective and very very cool. You can host the video on youtube as one option to alleviate that problem, you can have 10min videos up to 120mB long for free, as many as you like.

Graham

Comments

• JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2007-01-07 22:42
    Graham:

That's good. I like that. There are lots of new tools out there, and some might make things easier for us slower ones.
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-01-08 01:54
    Very good point Graham..I'm agree with you.

Regards.
    Alberto.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • LitefireLitefire Posts: 108
    edited 2007-01-08 02:26
    very nice idea! i'll admit, this would help me. most of the subtle nuances of the language are probably lost on me [noparse]:([/noparse]

~~B
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2007-01-08 03:19
    Hi,EveryOne

I have to agree with you Guys

This might make things easier for us slower ones and would also help everyone else

I would really like to see this happen I think this is a real good· idea.gif

I would be all· smile.gif·smile.gif·smile.gif·s and be as happy as these two guys·.............................hop.gif·jumpin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 1/8/2007 3:23:23 AM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-01-08 23:14
    I'm glad you like the idea, I just hope some of the aforementioned gurus like it.

Graham
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2007-01-08 23:25
    I have Camtasia and it does a super job of creating videos to how to do software tasks. The file sizes are very large for detail work.

If I had more time, I'd offer to do a video manual, but I don't any extra time these days. However, I'd be willing to post the large files on my website. I have a ton of space and bandwidth.

Jim Fouch
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-01-08 23:37
    While video is cool, remember that there are many of us who cannot hear very well, for which video is all but useless
    (especially since most web video is not closed captioned). Plus, there's nothing like a set of HTML pages and images
    that can be kept up-to-date; it's hard to edit a video when a mistake is found, or a new version of the chip comes out.
    Finally, a set of simple web tutorials I can download and store on my hard disk; a set of video tutorials would almost
    certainly be deleted for space reasons and not on the disk right when I needed them the most.
    edited 2007-01-09 00:34
    Video is more than cool, HTML pages are a lot more work and can never provide the kind of experience I'm talking about. For explaining the inner details of the propeller then text is best but for overviews and general program flow or just a nice description of a specific program they are fantastic.

It is unfortunate that not everyone could enjoy them because of hearing or bandwidth issues but I don't really see that as a reason not to do them at all. This would be just another thing to help, it would not be obligatory nor would it preclude text based tutorials.

As far as hard drive space goes, well the files do not have to be that large and besides there are things called writable CD-ROMS, these are not expensive and neither are the writers these days.

These are my inspiration for suggesting this:

http://www.machsupport.com/videos.htm

Average file size is about 40mB, remember that the file size will also depend on compression codecs used etc, running the PC in a lower res mode than normal also makes a massive difference.

Graham
    edited 2007-01-09 00:35
    And that was 40mB for half an hour
    edited 2007-01-09 03:15
    Hi,EveryOne

I hope that every one can agree with some type of format so this could be done
    ·I for one would really like to see this happen
    I know that it will be alot of work but
    ·I think that when it is all said and done it will help alot of people that·look and watch·this fourm to learn·and get idea.gif·s on· differnet ways of doing things and those of use that are newbe that are just starting to learn the propeller

·I know i sure have learn alot of thing reading the forums but to do·Video based tutorials i know that i would get alot more out of it
    because i could keep watching it until i understood tutorials and what it was trying to teach me

I hope that everone can understand what i am getting at

And I know that these Guys would be happy to .......hop.gifjumpin.gif.............·Aka Newbe's

I would be all· smile.gif·smile.gif·smile.gif·s if· this came to past

I would like to THANK ANY ONE, (the one's that are very good at CODING)·that·are willing to give of·their time and willing to help us newbe to learn

more with Video based tutorials we would be all· smile.gif·smile.gif·smile.gif·'s

So at some point we do not have to ask how to this and how to·that

This is just my two cent's worth which may not mean much

I am sorry for all of the Emoticons· but this is how i feel about thisyeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 1/9/2007 3:26:42 AM GMT
    edited 2007-01-09 04:41
    Graham Stabler

This is put together very well and·I learn alot from just watching that video on Mach3 Software and Setup

http://www.machsupport.com/videos.htm

Something like this would be GREAT way·for learning the Propeller and of the Basic Stamps

Thanks for sharing that· with us

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 1/9/2007 4:46:44 AM GMT
    edited 2007-01-09 12:31
    It should be noted that the Mach3 tutorials are not scripted perfection they are just a guy who knows his stuff talking about the software. Some general plan is all that is required.

The point is to make this very little work, it doesn't have to be a perfect corporate style production to be useful, keep it casual and fun.

Graham
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-01-09 15:43
    I would settle for some powerpoint demos. I don't remember the file sizes off the top of my head, but some pretty big concepts got pounded into the old noogin using them.
    edited 2007-01-09 17:39
    bambino

I couldn't agree more with what your are saying

One thing that I would add is to Explane the Examples and how it
    Works and what Part of the Code Dose What

I know this might be alot to ask for

I know that this helps me to understand how to use the Code given in the
    Examples,........ This helps me alot

These are my thought and ideas on subject..............
    May not mean much ......just my 2........cents worth

I would like to Thank Any One that has the time and willing put this together for
    the Newbe and all of us that are having a hard time understanding the code need to put these Projects and to together to LEARN Something and to KEEP it FUN

MANY THANKS FROM ME TO YOU FOR TAKE YOUR TIME TO DO THIS

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sam
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-08-02 14:46
    Anything that would explain .spin would be a welcome addition to this forum!

Go For It!

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 226
    edited 2007-08-02 15:10
    Hi,

Nice idea. Would help a lot.

Tony
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2007-08-02 15:29
    My vote is for video! A video where you can listen and watch is tremendously helpful. I've started to learn C with the help of this guy - Mark Virtue

Hard Disk space shouldn't be that much of a concern. I can fit 22 hrs worth on two CDs with no loss in quality. Generally for screen captured tutorials, they compress really well because very little information changes on screen. I don't know what it takes to get close captioning but that is very helpful too - to read along.

I don't like powerpoint slides. Mainly because they never seem to play quite right on my Mac.

Almost as good would be a Podcast. A 15 minute (or more) show every week discussing the Propeller would have at least one listener. All you need is a couple people interested in talking about stuff and answering listener submitted questions. Then of course there is the video Podcast...

If I knew what I was talking about I would do it. No wait, if I knew what I was doing AND someone would join me, then I would do it.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2007-08-02 16:32
    Hello,

i agree that documentation can be improved a lot

but i'm not sure if video is the best way for such a complexe thing like propeller with IDE

i've used a few online-videos to learn from them. The video was showing 20-30 click-steps and details

I had to start them a again and again to learn to remember the sequence of the clicks and where to fill in what
    even rewind them back and ahead is not pretty comfortable

i would prefer a sequence of screenshots showing it step by step

Does anybody know about a authoring-tool that can do that?

you start some kind of a recording-mode

then start klicking

this tool should be able to recognize and record the window-name, menu-name, menu-item-names
    activated by a hotkey making keyboard-logging for keyboard-entries

and then creating a raw-text with the screenshots like

click on menu "File" -"open" (it should be able to get the words "file", "open" by itself)

next appears a window called "...." (Screenshot)

click on "Button" .... (MiniScreen-shot of this button)
    or if this is not possible by mouse zoomed and moved window to adjust window around the button or what ever

maybe another possability would be making screenshots INKLUDING the mouse-arrow ! and 3 different symbols for click/doubleclick/rightklick
    everytime you click while a hotkey is holded down.

With quick switching to fill in explaining text by keyboard or
    by speaking into a microphone using speech-recognition

If there is a video-format where you can implement as much automatic-stops as you want this would be good

the author inserts a stop at every place where it might be senseful and you can go on just by pressing space-bar, page-down or F12
    go back or ahead n stops by pressing page-up/down

could somebody post you-tube links with a REAL GOOD demo-video showing all possabilities produced by one of these videotools ?

or other links showing demos of other authering tools

greetings

Stefan
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-02 17:04
    Now that JanB has turned the Propeller into a mouse http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=204968&g=205251#m205251
    it would be possible to have the Propeller run a demo ... with mouse clicks... we could even have singing monks do the narration[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-08-02 18:21
    Stefan,

There is no part of using the propeller that needs a lot of button clicks, the videos would not be to teach the IDE as there is really nothing much to teach.

Its just a way of comunicating how a program works as it is easy to indicate the flow from the main program to various objects, a way of pointing things out in a logical order. The idea is not to create learn to program the propeller videos but show the framework of programs as that is often the hardest part to understand by just looking at the source code or manual.

The most important aspect would actually be the voice that goes with the video, see my first post for my written example.

Graham
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-02 20:26
    I don't like videos as a substitute for decent prose and careful explanation with good illustrations. I can print (350 pages so far) the manual, schematics, pictures, pdfs, this thread even. I can write notes on those pages, highlight them, hang index tags off their edges, put them into binders, point at them and say 'I understand that', and eventually stand on them all to see something else to learn. The best thing about paper is that you can lay out 20 documents on a table and manage them. Twenty anythings on any computer screen is a fruitless exercise. A youtube video is often the worst thing. Stop it and it disolves into a lumpy low-res image, mostly representative of the amount of information conveyed. Tile your screen with them and you don't know anything more as much as allocate the next 40 minutes to peering at bad tv.

Videos are seductive wastes of time for both passive watchers and active filmmakers. Just because its free (youtube) does it mean that it is worthwhile.

On the other hand, I did like the video of the prop robot that had a pid rangefinder routine a lot, particularly in comparison. I liked the thought of Graham's ersatz 3d printer zipping back and forth although the picture started out showing what I hoped was a boob and then became a helicopter's background tree instead. That vid went long though -- I've seen printheads before. It does stand as a symbol of Graham's hack, but not as an self-instructional tool for repurposing an old printer. (Actually, G, I do want to see the indoor helicoptor fly. I am green with envy. Jealous, even.)

Fred
    edited 2007-08-02 20:38
    ps. an alternative -- have Parallax bring in beginners who can write for a couple days in California. Run them through the basics and have them write up the Spin/Propeller intro pieces. And get some old bit bangers who are doing interesting things (besides chip drivers, please) and make them explain why they like the propeller.
    edited 2007-08-02 23:29
    Fred, please re-read my initial post, I have quite a specific use for video the idea was never to replace the written word.

Personally I have found it extremely helpful to be shown the ropes by someone by simply looking over their shoulder while they run through some features of a piece of software or hardware, once I have the basic idea I'm more than happy to look up specific details. That is what this is about, a confidence giving overview.

I'll probably have to make a video myself for people to understand although I thought the link to the mach support website might have explained my point.

Graham
    edited 2007-08-03 02:02
    Graham,
    OK. As long as you include the helicopter.
    Fred
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2007-08-03 02:15
    Hi Graham,

As one the doesn't read that well, I would definitely welcome any video tutorials. I learn from video more than the written word, it seams.
    Maybe because I was brought up watching a lot of TV, and I went to public school, but I seem to learn faster from videos than from reading.
    Every time I see a video posting of anything on the propeller, I watch it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see all of BTX's videos before he pulled them.

Excellent idea Graham,

Doug
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-08-03 04:38
    I'm not using the Propeller, but I think the idea for videos is great.

If anybody wants to see some Camtasia's for teaching programming, here are some ad-hoc videos put together for Delphi: blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges/articles/26687.aspx

Just imagine Spin & IDE, and it should give an idea of the possibilities.

As for video quality, the thing to do is to record them in an uncompressed formaty, and then use whatever third-party codec that you want for compression. Done this way, you can produce very high quality videos by choosing the most appropriate format.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2007-08-03 08:19
    Hello Graham,

to make your intention clear
    first step could be to rename the title of the thread to the keywords of the purpose of the videos

these keywords sould be chosen very carefully to avoid misunderstanding

Stefan
    edited 2007-08-03 09:06
    I think Doug makes an excellent point.

And although I defend my idea for a basic video podcast showing some basics and over views I do think it is possible to do full tutorials if they are done correctly, sound is a must and they should be rich with explanation not a series of button clicks. Those who don't like video would just not use them.

Graham