Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I have a baking Question! — Parallax Forums

I have a baking Question!

IAI-CaptainIAI-Captain Posts: 33
edited 2007-01-08 21:32 in Propeller 1
·I do have a question about the Caution Sticker on the Anti-Static bag containing the FRAMs.
I have Attached Pictures.
The warning is about the method of soldering and the relative humidity (RH) when you open the seald Anti-static bag.
I·think it says that·you have to Bake the Chips before you solder them. Is this Right?
But, I am not going to use reflow, IR, or other high temp solder technique. just plan old Butane gas Iron or the ultra-fine·tip bat powered iron, or If I have to do to the scale of the ICs I might use a hot air pencil.
Do I still have to Bake the chips for 48hr @ 125'·+-5'C?
I don't know what to do. So, I have Not yet Opened the bag. Help!

Thanx,
IAI-Captain

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
IAI (Indigenous Alien Intelligence),
The New View on Machine Intelligence.
Because There is nothing Artificial about it!

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-01-08 18:31
    No you don't need to bake them, they were trying to indicate peak reflow temperature, but neglected to state the temperature. Likely the documentaion provides the information.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-01-08 19:15
    The reason some devices need to be baked before reflow is that moisture can creep into them between the metal leads and the package, or be absorbed by the package material itself. Suddenly heating them to reflow temperatures will cause the moisture to "boil", possibly cracking the package material. Baking at a lower temperature is sometimes necessary to drive out any accumulated moisture. Manufacturers of moisture-sensitive chips will often pre-bake them and sell them in hermetically-sealed bags, like the one you have. But the bags aren't perfect, and eventually water vapor can diffuse through them. That's why there's an expiration date, after which the parts need to be baked again. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it, though. For one-off projects and prototyping, I never do and haven't had any problems. But for production runs with reflow soldering, it pays to heed the manufacturer's recommendations.

-Phil
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2007-01-08 20:26
    It is more of a concern if the parts will be subjected to wide temperature and humidity variations in application. The soldering process can cause microcracks around the lead frame, and subsequent temperature and humidity extremes can lead to eventual failure. It take some time, probably a very long time if you are running it at room temperature instead of in space flight or the arctic. Like Phil says, I wouldn't worry about it.

After you open the bag and take out a few of the parts, fold over the top of the bag again and seal it with tape and clips, and put it inside another bag, like a freezer bag or an extra static shielding bag. You can add another pack of dessicant too, to feel good about it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • IAI-CaptainIAI-Captain Posts: 33
    edited 2007-01-08 21:32
    Paul, Phil, and Tracy,

Thank you all for your knowledgeable assistance in this matter!

If the contents of the bag were less expensive or important to me, then I would not have had the reservations regarding the warning, but you know at a cost of almost $24.00ea x 4pc you don't just want to open up the bag and possibly destroy the chips and throw out the money spent on them.

All this support puts me at ease. I now feel that there will definitely be no danger to the integrity of the chips when I open the bag, and then solder them to the PCB.

Thanx to all that have and or will add there knowledge to this thread,

IAI-Captain

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    IAI (Indigenous Alien Intelligence),
    The New View on Machine Intelligence.
    Because There is nothing Artificial about it!