Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ping sensor — Parallax Forums

ping sensor

ltmhallltmhall Posts: 102
edited 2008-09-05 01:36 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Can the ping Ultrasonic Sensor be used for obstacle avoidance, for stationary objects.

Comments

• Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-01-06 00:20
    Yes it can.· You can see a video of the Boe-Bot robot using a Ping))) sensor mounted on a servo to·scan for objects·and·roam around avoiding walls; the links to the video and sample source code·are at the bottom of the Ping))) sensor's product page:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28015

-Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2007-01-06 00:22
    ltmhall said...
    Can the ping Ultrasonic Sensor be used for obstacle avoidance, for stationary objects.
    The simple answer: Yes.

The "but..."?· You must write the BS2 program to manage the Ping and the data which the Ping provides. And, you must understand enough about your "obstacle"(s) --e.g., their shape, size, echoing characteristics, movement (speed, direction of both the Ping and the obstacle target(s)), so that your program can account for the variations in echo signals (and other attributes/situations/elements)·that your system must know about, to detect and to avoid (or seek out).

That's the fun....· Defining/describing/understanding the detailed characteristics·of the system you want to build, and then designing the microcontroller program to handle those static and dynamic characteristics.

PAR
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-01-06 00:38
    Ditto to everything PAR said!

The latest Stamps in Class book, Smart Sensors and Applications, has a chapter about the Ping))) sensor that addresses a few of those details he mentions, and also shows you how to account for air temperature affecting the speed of sound in your measurements, if that is an issue. You can download the book here:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28029

In addition to the sample code that goes with the "Roaming with Ping" video, you can find a couple more applications with source code to study in·the Stamps in Class Mini Projects sticky-thread:

·Boe-Bot + Ping))) Ultrasonic Rangefinder

· Ping)))Dar - a Radar Style Display
    · Scan for and Go to Closest Object
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2007-01-09 20:17
    Are there any tech details on PING))?

I would like to know basic stuff like variance in measurments. My search in the PING))) docs didn't reveal if it was plus or minus 3inches or any variances along those lines.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2007-01-09 20:56
    Implemented correctly (see http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=10&m=162746), it seems to be pretty consistent and "accurate"... like anything else, you will need to implement some "calibration" in your code if you are looking to take detailed measurements... because it is sound based, many external factors will impact the accuracy (temperature of the air, etc.).
  • edited 2007-01-09 21:35
    AIman said...
    Are there any tech details on PING))?

I would like to know basic stuff like variance in measurments. My search in the PING))) docs didn't reveal if it was plus or minus 3inches or any variances along those lines.
    The published documentation is on the product page.· Look for the download entitled PING)))™ Documentation v1.2 (.pdf) link on the PING))) Ultrasonic Sensor page.

From personal experience, my Ping))) projects had accuracy of·+/-·1 cm/m·in controlled·conditions (solid cylindrical object, in direct line of sight, temperature measured and used to scale the speed of sound in air).· There's a little more variation up close when the sides of the distance triangle (speaker -> object -> transducer) since the sides of the triangle approach equilateral.·

In robotic circumstances, if you don't know the shape of the object, the angle of its reflecting surface with respect to the bot, its acoustic properties (solid·vs. stuffed animal), well then it's the measurement is pretty much anybody's guess.··That's where extensive testing comes in·to make sure your robot can detect the object and its distance given the variety of conditions you expect to subject it to.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • iramseyiramsey Posts: 12
    edited 2007-03-26 00:41
    I am currently working on a project that requires the I roam around an area and collect gps data and tilt information. Can the ping sensor be used for obstacle avoidance even if i want my BOE-Bot to move in a ladder path? If yes, are there any sample programs that use the ping sensor as a secondary navigation accessory?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-03-26 07:13
    iramsey -

What do you mean by "a ladder path"? Are you speaking of a squared zig-zag route like the following pattern:
    ··· _
    |_| |_|

Generally speaking regardless of what type of structured travel you are attempting, any sort of obstacle detector can be used. You (via the program) will be required to get the mobile platform back on track, after the object is avoided. Please remember that the PING)) sensor was designed as a distance measuring device although it can be used in other manners. You might want to consider infrared sensors as well, as a less expensive alternative, unless this is an outdoor application.

As far a sample programs are concerned, that will depend highly on what it is that you're actually trying to do. It sounds rather like maze solving (if you were to treat it that way) so someone may have some code like that.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 3/26/2007 7:36:36 AM GMT
  • iramseyiramsey Posts: 12
    edited 2007-03-26 15:58
    Thank you for the insight...i really appreciate it
  • cprcrackcprcrack Posts: 12
    edited 2008-07-22 00:10
    I have a doubt around this subject... Can the PING))) sensor be used while the robot is moving? The sound speed is very high comparing to the speed of a normal robot, so I suppose there are not any problems, aren't they?
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2008-07-26 21:14
    · I know there are factors like air density, object type, and angle to consider but just from my experience the PING·ALMOST ALWAYS·detects objects that are within object-avoidance range (for a small robot).· I get very satisfactory results without any averaging or temperature compensating.· The PING just seems to be ideal for object avoidance.
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2008-07-26 21:27
    · Sorry, I forgot to mention that I use a fixed PING sensor mounted 3" above ground on a tracked vehicle that
    operates indoors at room temperature on a linoleum floor.....your results may varyblush.gif
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-07 08:01
    The ping mounted on a servo works very reliably. Since the speed of sound in air is about 1100 feet per second (give or take 100), it is very unlikely that you robot will need to compensate for it's own movement when taking measurements. The ping is very reliable, but keep in mind that the area around the module (say about 3" in all dirrections) should be as clear as possible.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-08-31 17:08
    Andy Lindsay (Parallax) said...

The published documentation is on the product page.· Look for the download entitled PING)))™ Documentation v1.2 (.pdf) link on the PING))) Ultrasonic Sensor page.

I couldn't get Andy's link to work, but found it here - http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/acc/28015-PING-v1.5.pdf

Edit - Sorry for the post - I just saw how old the original post is. The guy is probably a in Ping))) expert by now!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Bryan MoscatoBryan Moscato Posts: 5
    edited 2008-08-31 22:21
    Hey all, not to hijack this thread but I have a question relating to what cprcrack's question. I have a BoeBot on tracks and I have the PING sensor with the mounting bracket kit. If I were to incorporate a servo controller would I be able to use the PING while the bot is in motion or will it still need to stop and scan?

Bryan
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-09-01 12:12
    Bryan,
    With the servo controller, you can have the Ping scanning while the robot is in motion. You can use the ramp parameter on the serial command to the controller to slowly sweep the ping assembly from one side to the other without any additional input from the stamp. This allows you to continuously read the ping while the servo controller takes care of moving the sensor head.
    One thing that I have learned about the Ping. Upolstered furniture, including the dust ruffle on our bed, is almost invisable to the Ping!
  • Bryan MoscatoBryan Moscato Posts: 5
    edited 2008-09-02 00:55
    Thanks MSDTech
  • isaisa Posts: 1
    edited 2008-09-05 00:28
    I am wondering what the detection radius is for the sensor thanks for any help
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-05 01:36
    The documentation shows the reception pattern for the sensor. You can compute the maximum range from the information (maximum time) in the documentation. Practically, it's limited by the environment and by false echoes (and the reflectivity of objects).