Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rotary Encoder Object — Parallax Forums

Rotary Encoder Object

crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
edited 2007-02-01 00:54 in Propeller 1
Hey Everyone,

I'm using the rotary encoder object with a TRD-S2500·encoder from Automation direct.· Everthing's working great, I just have one question.· I noticed that the encoder has A, B, and Z outputs.· I hooked up the A and B outputs and haven't touched the Z output.· Any one know what the Z output does?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
NerdMaster
For
Life

Comments

• Michael ChadwickMichael Chadwick Posts: 80
    edited 2007-01-04 21:37
    The Z is an index pulse that happens once per revolution.· It is used to set a fixed start point in motion applications.·

In the past I've used·a switch to indicate a general home position, which would trip when the motion system was near home within·a full revolution of the encoder.· To home, the·system would·slow down to a crawl when it saw the switch close, then·look for the Z pulse to indicate 0 position.· The position counters were cleared when the Z pulse happened, which gives a precise and repeatable home position.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    MRC
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-01-04 21:39
    Thanks, guess I won't be needing to look at it then. The encoder will be traveling at a max 30 degrees.

Thanks Again,
    crgwbr

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • squidxsquidx Posts: 33
    edited 2007-01-31 19:24
    Hi crgwbr, I have the same encoder, but I'm not sure about the wiring hookup. Are you using the Rotary Encoder Object, and if so are you connecting the Out A and Out B to the first and second pins you enumerated?

Thanks, Alex

Post Edited (squidx) : 1/31/2007 10:21:35 PM GMT
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-02-01 00:54
    Yes, I am useing the rotary encoder object. Out A is the first pin of the rotary encoder object. Out B is Out A + 1 (Out A = P0 Out B = P1).

Hope this helps,
    crgwbr

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life