Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
new to serial communication — Parallax Forums

new to serial communication

sgeorgiasgeorgia Posts: 1
edited 2007-01-03 13:32 in BASIC Stamp
I've read through some of the info. on the serin and serout instructions. However, it is not very clear whether I should use max232(or a similar device)·or not in my project. The fact that there is no 'level shifter' on the stamp or the carrier board confuses me. The manual states there needs to be a some sort of level shift. Does the PC understand TTL? Does the stamp understand RS232? I'm trying to figure out whether I should include a max232 or not.

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-01-03 05:15
    The BASIC Stamp does invert the signals, and as long as you use the programming·IO using DEBUG/DEBUGIN or SERIN 16/SEROUT 16 no additional hardware is needed.· If you use other IO (P0-P15) signal conversion would be needed.· Be aware the programming port echos data back to the sender.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-01-03 13:32
    Martin is correct. The BS2 'programming port' (number 16) does have a couple of level-shift transistors on it. So, if you use the 'standard' progamming port in your program, the level shifting is already taken care of for you.

The BS2 can do SEROUT/SERIN on any I/O pin, but if you use I/O pins zero through 15, then you would need to use a MAX232 to talk to a 'real' RS232 device.

Note there are many BS2 peripherals (LCD displays, etc) which use TTL-based RS232 signalling. For those you would not need the max232 chip.