Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does Full Duplex Serial object send Parity and Stop bits ? — Parallax Forums

Does Full Duplex Serial object send Parity and Stop bits ?

peterzpeterz Posts: 59
edited 2007-01-01 17:30 in Propeller 1
Does FullDuplexSerialObject send Parity and Stop bits ?
If so, how can I configure it ?

BTW, which is the maximum speed I can achieve with this object ? I have realized that above 100Kb pulses become unstable.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-01 17:05
    The FullDuplexSerial object does not send parity bits although you can compute them easily and include them yourself (for 7 data bits and 1 parity bit). It always includes 2 stop bits when transmitting and can receive information with 1 or more stop bits. There is no provision for configuring it since, with most serial communications these days, they are not configured (most serial communications is 8 bit data, no parity, 1 or more stop bits).

With a stable clock (crystal) you should be able to reliably transmit and receive over 100KBaud. There is some jitter because the object is interleaving transmission and reception on a bit by bit basis with a granularity on the order of 400-500ns. The Propeller itself can handle rates well over 1 megaBaud with a half duplex assembly routine (2 cogs for full duplex).
  • peterzpeterz Posts: 59
    edited 2007-01-01 17:10
    I need 1Mb baud rate, 8 data bit, NP, 1 Stop bit. Half duplex.
    So if I understand well I need to·touch the FullDuplexSerial object source code·to achieve my goal ?:-(

·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-01 17:30
    Yes. In many ways, a set of half duplex routines would be much simpler than the full duplex routines in the FullDuplexSerial object. Your routines would not need the options for inverting the input and output polarity or using "open" mode.