Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp2 Home work board — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp2 Home work board

GraybeardGraybeard Posts: 2
edited 2007-01-01 18:38 in BASIC Stamp
Can I use 12V instead of the 9V battery? I presume so but did not want to fry the system

Thanks...

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-01 02:40
    Graybeard,
    ·
    ·· What is the source for the 12V? ·If it is a regulated power supply then you should be fine if the board is Rev C.· If Rev B I would stay closer to the 9V rating. ·Take care

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • GraybeardGraybeard Posts: 2
    edited 2007-01-01 16:42
    12 V motorvehicle power (motorcycle).
    So.... I guess some kind of 'regulation' circuit would be required?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-01 17:23
    Graybeard,
    You should have some kind of noise filter between the 12V supply and any electronic equipment in a motor vehicle. RadioShack used to sell some that have filter chokes and bypass capacitors. You can also build your own. For dropping the voltage, you don't need a regulator since you're providing one on the homework board. Get a couple of power diodes. 1N4001 or equivalent will do just fine. Put 5 in series to create a voltage drop of around 3V which should be enough to take some heat load off the regulator on the Homework Board.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-01 18:38
    Graybeard,
    ·
    ·· What Rev H/W Board do you have? ·That makes a difference.· It also makes a difference the type of electrical system on the unit. ·Older cars/bikes and some newer motorcycles have noisy electrical systems which may or may not cause problems. ·The only way to be sure is if you have a scope. ·But if you have a Rev C it will be safe as far as input voltage goes. ·Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support