Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
midi i/o on the sx? — Parallax Forums

midi i/o on the sx?

ianianianian Posts: 2
edited 2006-12-31 18:52 in General Discussion
I've seen the sx used for midi input with a basic stamp 2, I was wondering if the sx could be used alone for midi input and output.

I'm asking because I want to make midi devices, but I need a cheaper solution than using the bs2. I've seen the uart tutorial for the sx, but I didnt know if this solution would work with the baud rate midi uses. Also, I plan on using serial input from devices like trackpads, ps2 controllers while getting clock data from an external midi controller. Would this be possible on a single sx chip?

Any insight would be super, thanks!

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-12-31 16:12
    ianian,
    · The SX can easily handle the midi baud rate. I'm not sure about the electrical interface, I don't know if midi uses +/- 12V like RS232.
    · You would most likely need to receive midi with an interrupt routine so you don't lose any information.

Sound like an interesting project, I think the SX is up the job.

[noparse][[/noparse]edit] Here is a link to a Nuts & Volts (magazine) article that does pretty much what you need.
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol6/col/nv122.pdf

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 12/31/2006 4:16:59 PM GMT
  • ianianianian Posts: 2
    edited 2006-12-31 18:06
    Thats great news! midi uses 5v, so if I use the sx proto board, I should be able to pull the power straight from the vdd.

Just one more question...
    Does the proto board work with the SX-Blitz? I only see the SX-key mentioned in the documentation.

thanks for the fast reply!
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2006-12-31 18:50
    Hi ianian, I am new to the sx and currently working my way through the text books with a SX blitz and a SX28 proto board using SX sim as a debugging tool, yes the Blitz works fine.

Jeff T.
  • Karl SmithKarl Smith Posts: 50
    edited 2006-12-31 18:52
    the SX-Blitz can be used with the proto board, but remember the Blitz can't be used for debuging