Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
compressing a .mov file — Parallax Forums

compressing a .mov file

solokcosolokco Posts: 2
edited 2006-12-30 17:50 in General Discussion
Ok, here is the deal... I have being recording a couple of videos to make a tutorial... I have like 5 of them already, and now I want to ZIP them... I KNOW mov files are already compress, but the thing is that one of the videos i made I can compress it up to 30% but the others i cant.... they were recorded with the same properties and all that stuff...

and i know mov files can be compress up to 50% because I downloaded a couple of tutorials and this files were zip to that ratio, but i dont know how... ...

Im using the Stuffit software for zipping and Camtasia Studio for the recording....

anybody know´s what i have to do?

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-30 14:29
    This topic came up a few days ago and some solutions were discussed http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=622430
  • solokcosolokco Posts: 2
    edited 2006-12-30 17:07
    That topic is about a Camcorder... they talk about making a MOV file into a AVI file... but i dont want that... I just nee to compress the MOV file... ... just I dont know how...
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-30 17:19
    Upgrade to QuickTime Pro - see my linked message
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2006-12-30 17:50
    Hi solokco, there are more tools to deal with avi files than mov files so converting to avi (although initially you end up with a larger file) makes editing and encoding simpler to deal with. Next you have to take into consideration what size video and level of quality you want. Mpeg1 is available free and gives a so so quality Mpeg2 can give almost DVD quality but I believe you have to buy it, both give very good compression ratio. You also have to consider what kind of media you want to play the files with you may need special software for certain files to play on a computer or special formats to play in a cd (vcd/svcd) or dvd player. This link explains·about everything you could wish to know.

http://www.videohelp.com/

Jeff T.·