Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is an Educational Microntroller Video available anywhere? — Parallax Forums

Is an Educational Microntroller Video available anywhere?

Jeff_BledsoeJeff_Bledsoe Posts: 10
edited 2007-01-03 00:32 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm working up a STAMPS IN CLASS proposal·for a local private high school science instructor and I'd like to find some generic microcontroller multimedia presentations for·his class.· I noticed·that there are·powerpoint slide shows specific to WAM on parallax.com but I'm looking for something at a higher level that would help the students understand current microcontroller applications.·

Does anyone·know of a video(s) that could help·students·understand·present applications of microcontrollers, their proliferation in everyday consumer devices, and the potential for a career in embedded system design?

Thanks,

Jeff

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Jeffrey Bledsoe, PE

jpbledsoe@yahoo.com

Comments

• PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2006-12-29 23:13
    Jeff_Bledsoe said...
    I'm working up a STAMPS IN CLASS proposal·for a local private high school science instructor ...

Does anyone·know of a video(s) that could help·students·understand·present applications of microcontrollers, their proliferation in everyday consumer devices, and the potential for a career in embedded system design?

Thanks,
    ·Jeff
    Jeff,
    It's hard to imagine that a (very long) list of systems (i.e., common consumer products) which contain and operate using embedded microcontrollers would not thoroughly impress any student as to the pervasiveness of embedded microcontrollers. Such a list would also implicitly suggest the size and diversity of the job market for embedded system designers.

Send the students into any kitchen (their own family's?) and/or automobile (their own family's?) for a "hands-on" look at many such systems containing even more embedded microcontrollers.

Find an *old* junk (free, cheap) washing machine for the students to take apart, to see what the electro-mechanical switching world of logic (fill, pre-wash, wash, rinse, dry, temp control, etc) was like, for an appreciation of what a modern washer's electronic controls replace.

Ditto for a car (maybe old auto repair manuals could substitute for a hands-on old car?).

Of course, a video of the same would only take an hour of their time, and no need to wash their hands afterwards ;>)

PAR
  • Jeff_BledsoeJeff_Bledsoe Posts: 10
    edited 2006-12-30 19:39
    I agree that examples could be found with some scrounging, although the newer stuff would be harder to find.· I'm hoping for the easy way out with a video as I'd like to start the class no later than early February.· The month of January will likely be filled with planning·with volunteer parents and the teacher and approvals from the school's board.

Thanks for replying.

Jeff

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jeffrey Bledsoe, PE

jpbledsoe@yahoo.com
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-01-02 19:50
    Hello Jeff,

If you are willing to piece together some clips, you are welcome to use selections from our video library on this page:·

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/resources/videolibrary/resources_product_videos.asp

Some of these files are very large; if you have trouble downloading them, please contact me directly:editor@parallax.com.

If you want to show folks what students have accomplished with our microcontrollers, check out the Winner's Circle:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/edu/applications/circle.asp

-Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-01-02 20:47
  • Jeff_BledsoeJeff_Bledsoe Posts: 10
    edited 2007-01-03 00:32
    Stephanie/Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.· I'll check out all your suggestions.

Jeff

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jeffrey Bledsoe, PE

jpbledsoe@yahoo.com