Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax GPS module compability with ATOM 28 MicroBasic — Parallax Forums

Parallax GPS module compability with ATOM 28 MicroBasic

ralonsoralonso Posts: 9
edited 2006-12-29 22:20 in General Discussion
Has any of you tried to use a Parallax module with serial comunication with an ATOM28. I am worried, because i purchased one GPS module that use an SX microcontroller that is compatible with AppMod serial protocol, and it is not possible to comunicate with it.

Maybe de SX microcontroller is damaged, but can be an incompabitility of protocol comunication.

The module comunicate using 4800 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, not inverted.

Comments

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2006-12-29 13:55
    serial is serial. You may have to go to the atom28 forums to find out how to better use the atom28 with serial communications. The GPS module should work with anything(computer, micros, ect) serial as long as it can work with the parameters (4800 8n1)
    I would hook it up to the serial port on the computer and verifiy that you can read data off of it. then you know the issue is probably with the programming in the atom28. you may have download the examples from Parallax and convert them to the atom28's language.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • ralonsoralonso Posts: 9
    edited 2006-12-29 15:13
    OK, ATOM28 uses N4800 for non inverted 4800 bauds protocol. But when you use a 4800 bauds for non inverted and open protocol is recommended uing the NO4800 with an pull up transistor.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-12-29 15:25
    Ralonso,
    Connect the /RAW pin on the GPS to ground. Then the GPS module will emit the standard NMEA strings every 1 second.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
    edited 2006-12-29 15:59
    Ok, but i should write on my program to receive the nmea strings
    edited 2006-12-29 16:06
    Another thing, suposse the Module firmware is lost on GPS module. When i run the module with satelites ( light stop blinking) i run my program i obtain only zeroes lectures (including module version information of Hardware and Firmware).

I tried many thing MBASIC forum recommended me about baud rate recommendation (use NO4800 for noninverted 4800 bauds) and no success. Looks like module is death.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-12-29 17:09
    I think you should be using T4800 not NO4800 for the baud rate.

Try T4800 and see if are receiving the NMEA strings. Once you get that working, then you can try using the "processed" mode.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
    edited 2006-12-29 21:13
    ok, but i checked with MBASIC and mode T4800 is not recognized by his languaje. Any way, i understand that raw mode just requiere 2 serin instruction, one for each string. But serin should use and beginer of the string ($GMC**** something like that )for adquiring data. I will try. Any way, is there any possibility to have problems on the microprocesor (firmware lost or something else) .

I told you, because i lost one ATOM firmware for any reason, so it was necessary to reloaded it on chip.
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2006-12-29 22:11
    Ralonso,

It's possible the GPS unit may have had the firmware "disappear." However, it's not likely. It is much more possible that your code is not working. If you really think the GPS unit is broken, then wait for Parallax to come back from the Holiday and contact the tech support people. If needed, send the unit back to have them check it.

One question - have you ever communicated with the Atom28 over a serial connection in any other project? If you haven't, then you need to verify that you can talk to it before assuming that the GPS unit is broken. Hook the Atom28 up to a PC and see if you can send and receive data with a terminal program. Once you know that works, then try talking to the GPS unit again.

Remember, when trying to fix something, always start with the most likely possibilities and then move to the less likely ones. If you're driving your car and the engine stops working, what is the first thing you do? Do you assume the engine is broken or do you check if you have run out of gas first? I would check if I have gas before I assume the engine is broken.
      Thanks, PeterM
    edited 2006-12-29 22:20
    yes peter is true. Anyway the person that sold me the GPS is in Venezuela and I talk him. He told me that he has 5 more module. Therefore i can go January and check. If the same happens with 5 module, forget it. The problem is not in Parallax module.

I will check those days the direct mode because is not very difficult to implement anything with it. Just I would want to know if the serin serout settings (i have baud rate but want to know how to configure it on a Parallax program.

Another probability is to use a BS2 as interface with module and ATOM28. I can find one BS2 and should use ATOM28 because is with me many years.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciated it very much!!!!!!!